British politics has this problem though where for some reason the noisiest minority gets to drive the whole agenda. We also really don't have much of local powerbases where they can fail hard, the closest thing are local councils, but councils don't always listen to elected councillors anyway so they typically fail or succeed in spite of who has been elected to try and tell them what to do.
Take for example the EU referendum - in the European elections, despite a favourable demographic turnout for the far right, far right parties only won about 30% of the vote. The other 70% was won by parties whose stated aim is to remain in the EU. Yet for some reason, we're having a referendum on EU membership despite there being clear overwhelming support for staying in (recent polls put it overwhelmingly in favour of the EU). Quite why we're wasting hundreds of millions on a referendum like this just because a vocal far right minority screams the loudest I've no fucking idea - they had their referendum, it was called the European elections, and despite disproportionate positive media coverage, turnout favouring their electoral base, and so on and so forth, they still lost hard.
Probably the real problem here is that the press love sensation, so they'd rather praise the far right for causing a stir, than question them for lying their way to power with populism. As such we have this problem whereby there's no one with any real voice that can expose their wrongdoing and lies on a grander scale.
No, not even remotely close. Before the EU, the world was massively different and the EU was in ruins from a massive war.
It's like saying "Before the fall of the British empire, Britain did better with India". Right, but we're not before the British empire, just like we're not before the EU. NAFTA isn't even remotely as comprehensive a free trade agreement as what the EU has - you still have massive customs barriers as anyone that has tried to move goods between the US and Canada vs. between European states can tell you.
Of course, the EU doesn't preclude us also having partnerships with these countries as well - it's not mutually exclusive, why limit ourselves to one just because people like Farage hate foreign people that aren't largely of British cultural descent?
Yes, but keep in mind your household essentially has a Linux system administrator. I'm guessing you probably maintain some sort of home network, handle setup tasks, and solve any issues that come up, correct?
Take yourself out of the equation, and substitute a different household with the equivalent skills/interests of your wife, who actually sounds more like a typical user than you. Can you see Linux working in that situation?
Most people need to be able to run anything they find without worrying if it will work.
And most people just need a web browser. As long as it plays YouTube videos and opens Gmail, most people are satisfied.
Linux won't EVER be a mainstream desktop OS because it doesn't run most of the software people need.
You think "most people" need CAD, Adobe apps, MS Office, financial software, medical software or supply chain software?
Most people need a web browser.
You've stated what I *intended* to convey more clearly than I did.
Slashdot has ads????
Yes, every story about autonomous cars.
They should have named it "Code Sweat" and used this music as the theme song:
"I wake up...in a Code Sweat. Hah!"
Maceo, blow your horn.
Linux: I tend to prefer when I need to be very productive
When I want to be very productive, I step away from the computer.
Bind has been rewritten practically from scratch multiple times. This has strangely not helped security as much as one would hope...
To be fair, at least they are mostly DoS bugs, not root-in-one-packet like in the good old days. At least we hope they are.
Yeah, but it was more fun to make a snarky anti-Flash comment and link to an xkcd video that insulted beer (heresy, I know).
I did watch some video on their site, and it was quite beautiful. It's very impressive what commercial equipment can do.
Oh, and tally another vote for changing their name, stat.