Please create an account to participate in the Slashdot moderation system

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
Check out the new SourceForge HTML5 internet speed test! No Flash necessary and runs on all devices. ×

Comment Re:Simple answer (Score 2) 467

>> It's unfit for the purpose
> There is nowhere in the US that has that concept.

Sure there is, embodied as UCC 2-314 [https://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/2/2-314]: courts may imply a Warranty of merchantability when (1) the seller is the merchant of such goods, and (2) the buyer uses the goods for the ordinary purposes for which such goods are sold. Thus, a buyer can sue a seller for breaching the implied warranty by selling goods unfit for their ordinary purpose.

There is also UCC 2-315, fitness for particular purpose [https://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/2/2-315]:

> Where the seller at the time of contracting has reason to know any particular purpose for which the goods are required and that the buyer is relying on the seller's skill or judgment to select or furnish suitable goods, there is unless excluded or modified under the next section an implied warranty that the goods shall be fit for such purpose.

By being part of the Uniform Commercial Code, it is a nearly universally accepted law across the United States.

The UCC is mostly a codification of a much longer standing bit of law with similar aims and construct, the implied warranty of fitness for purpose, that iirc as part of the common law predates the sovereignty of the United States.

Comment Re:uranium runs out (Score 2) 320

Good catch. Thorium can't be used to produce weaponizable plutonium. My recollection is:

P-239 is weapons-grade plutonium.

U-238 is weapons-grade uranium.

P-238 is an alpha emitter, degrading to U-234(5?) (i.e. it skips U-238).

Thorium produces P-238 (and not P-239/U-238), so it is not useful for nuclear fission weapons.

In any case, I recall back in the debate about uranium or thorium reactors, DoD refused to produce Thorium precisely because they cannot be used to produce nuclear weapons.

Comment Re:uranium runs out (Score 1) 320

> Not to mention thorium. My CRC Handbook says that the available energy in the earth's crust from thorium is greater than uranium and all fossil fuels put together; thorium is about as common as lead.

The problem appears to be that you can't make plutonium from thorium.

And plutonium is the military industrial's buy in.

Otherwise it's just relatively inexpensive, safe energy. Clearly nobody actually wants that.

On point, the explosion in question was waste from nuclear weapons production.

Comment Re:Reminds me of a crazy, hot girlfriend (Score 1) 320

> Nuclear energy is the crazy hot girlfriend of energy. She may be nice, kind, and wonderful for days, months, or years - maybe decades. But someday, somehow, she's going to go berserk on you. 100% chance. And cleaning up the mess at that point will leave you with a very long term scar.

Coal is the dysfunctional fat chick that'll take anyone for a ride, but eventually comes knocking on your door pregnant and tagging along a few babies, named Katrina, Sandy, Ike, .... Keep banging coal and whatever life you had before will end up being over.

Comment Re:Trust the jury ... (Score 1) 192

The jury doesn't send people to jail: they vote guilty or not guilty and the judge decides the sentence, expect possibly in death penalty cases. And, in the U.S. at least, the jury isn't allowed to be told what the possible sentence is.

Close, but not *quite* it.

Jurors are finders of fact. They determine what happened, "as a matter of fact.", so to speak.

Judges are finders of law. They determine a conclusion, "as a matter of law."

Judges can also be finders of law, where there are no jurors and in other situations.

So a juror can find, as a matter of fact, that someone intended to and actually killed someone else, and thereby committed homicide. A judge can find that as a matter of law the act of homicide is a punishable offence, and compel this person to incarceration for a requisite period of time.

In that sense, jurors do indeed determine the presence or absence of culpability, or wrongful guilt.

Sentence can vary depending on the facts found by the jurors. Jurors can determine whether there was intention to murder, whether it was planned, an act of emotion, or self-defence.

What jurors find, in other words, is not strictly limited to the presence or absence of guilt.

Comment More sinking in Miami (Score 4, Insightful) 239

People will keep flocking to one of the fastest growing city in the USA, even though it will continue to have increasingly devastating consequences from regular flooding for the population and industry, particularly farming.

Wall street, on behalf of rich people, will short-sell (via complex derivatives that mask their intent) the Florida property and life insurers, mortgagees, corporations, and property owners.

Florida will continue to deny the existence of climate change at the popular and official levels.

Comment A couple points (Score 1) 424

First, the best treatment of the prequels, and one of the most brilliant things I have ever seen period, is the Star Wars prequel reviews by Red Letter Media. They're here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/R...

I found something meaningful in those reviews, they just captured a sentiment for me â" and I totally recommend checking them out.

Second, maybe the title should be "Disney: George, you're done with Star Wars."? :)

Comment Re:Just starting now? (Score 5, Interesting) 373

Seriously, has this ever been a problem?

There have been a half-a-dozen incidents of planes overrunning runways on takeoff or otherwise crashing because of the difference between the expected average weight of passengers and their actual (obese) weight, most notably Obese passengers could have caused plane crash, May 2003, aka Air Midwest 5481.

Further reading: The true costs of heavier passengers: Part one

Comment Re:Crown and Mail Lands Major Ad Campaign (Score 2) 174

Not to take away from your point that Monsanto is paying for branding via a newspaper, but the amount ($400k) is pretty miniscule. Last I checked the G&M annual revenues were over $250 million. They've written off CAD$400,000 accounts receivable without batting an eyelash. I'm not sure how much influence $400k will buy.

Comment Handy article on the Globe and Mail (Score 5, Insightful) 247

This is one of the more insightful bits of investigative journalism I've read in a long time:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com...

Some quotes:

[...] one of the most compelling investigative projects ... in the Toronto taxicabs that I rode in so often on my way to assignments. I discovered that almost none of Torontoâ(TM)s city-issued taxi licenses â" known as âoeplatesâ â" were in the hands of working cab drivers. Instead, they were held by people who made others pay to use them.

[Taxi] plate holders included an airline pilot, a dentist, investors who lived in Florida and Israel, and estates that had inherited the licenses after the holder died. The problems created by the plate system were mind-boggling. At least 30 per cent of the industryâ(TM)s revenues went to people who did nothing but milk income from their licenses.

So the Toronto Taxi system is a cesspool of entitled leeches, and Uber â" which nonetheless seems to have a shady side to it â" seems to be doing some overdue jostling. Hence the ridiculous class action.

Slashdot Top Deals

Swap read error. You lose your mind.

Working...