"something that is dying because of market forces"
I'm not sure that's
Coal is dying because of massive government investment and subsidies compared to the other industries.
As much as we'd like to simply 'declare' that coal is dead, the only reason we can afford the other technologies is
"U.S. Energy Information Administration data shows that:
- solar energy was subsidized at $231.21 per megawatt hour
- wind at $35.33 per megawatt hour
- coal at $0.53 per mwh
- natural gas/petroleum at $0.67 per mwh
- hydroelectric power $1.47 per mwh
- nuclear power $2.10 per mwh"