It's a boundary condition. It'll never happen in the real world.
Friends who are not my friends apparently want me to stop finding meaningful results.
Everyone wants to provide the presidential vehicles. Does Tesla provide as many jobs as GM?
The votes those employees provide are probably the most important factor when deciding who gets to provide the presidential ride.
Ah yes. I'm going to believe somebody's theories and "research" instead of my own ears.
Better Common Core than allowing the fundamentalists and fringe groups to continue pushing crap like "Young Earth" ideologies as "just a theory" equivalent to evolution and the big bang.
If it weren't for all the wingnuts and fools in Texas and elsewhere pushing that kind of crap, there wouldn't have been a rebellion against their bullshit through standardization like Common Core.
Moreover, the money that an employee pays into the unemployment system is not used to fund payments, but purely to cover administrative overhead. Companies have to pay for unemployment based on a weird formula for how many people they let go under what circumstances.
In the U.S., if you're working independently, or even trying to, you're not eligible for unemployment.
There's a lot of push-back against people ``double-dipping'' by both drawing un-employment and working independently --- actually, it's considered fraud. I've always been somewhat offended by Judy Chicago having at least one of her ``workers'' working on the ``The Dinner Party'' while he was on unemployment (and she couldn't even see the need to have him teach others how to do what he was doing).
The big difference is the U.S. tax rate is about a quarter of the G.D.P., while in Europe it's over a third, but the number of government checks in the U.S. is going up as noted in a recent story.
Of course it's sensitive and provides "useful" information. If it didn't provide any information, they wouldn't bother collecting it.
Stazi. NSA. CIA. CSEC. GCHQ.
All the same animal, just different flags.
Yep. I knew a troll would respond to that in no time.
And the deaf will deny that anyone else can hear the difference between 192 and 44.1 kHz sampling because they can't.
I pity the deaf.
not by Alexis de Tocqueville though:
``The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.''
earliest known occurrence is as an unsourced attribution to Tytler in "This is the Hard Core of Freedom" by Elmer T. Peterson in The Daily Oklahoman (9 December 1951): "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy."
Canada never *has* tried to force other nations to bow to our will, much the will of Hollywood, unlike the Jackboot States of America.
With the US, every agreement has "riders" and "add-ons" that have nothing to do with the primary intent of the agreement. I believe this stems from the US habit of running all their legislation with such "back door" items buried in the fine print of Congress.
using mirrors and lenses from disposable cameras:
Politicians, judges, and other people in power are rarely young. So it stands to reason that they're "behind the times", though it is outrageous that they don't educate themselves on the issues and technologies they're supposed to oversee and negotiate about.
The simple fact of the matter is politicians are idiots who don't understand anything beyond getting bought off by lobbyists, screwing the public, and spinning things so they get elected again. I firmly believe that less than 10% of the politicians in the world are actually intelligent people out to do the best for society as a whole; I believe the other 90% are power-tripping freakazoids who don't understand anything more than "I want to be the boss."
Most of them would take a role as dictator in a heartbeat if they were given the chance.
Interesting examination of that in the novella _Manna_ by Marshall Brain: http://marshallbrain.com/manna...