Become a fan of Slashdot on Facebook

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Comment Re:Soo...how to block ad-block detection? (Score 1) 187

This method is flawed because you can just disable Javascript (or write a blocking rule for the .js file). The only way around that is to load the content via Javascript, which will break Google's bot. So you have to serve a different version to the bot, which demotes your ranking anyway, and people can bypass it by simply forging their headers.

Javascript block lists are the next stage for ad blocking, combined with browser ID spoofing lists. Maybe pretend to be in print mode too, since that often disables a lot of the crap.

Comment Re:What do you propose that they do? (Score 2, Insightful) 187

Can they somehow regain your trust by running non-abusive ads? (Whatever that means. How do you know which ads aren't abusive?

Yes. Pledge publicly to only display ads from their own servers, manually checked before going live, no Javascript, no tracking cookies, no animation. I will know if they keep their end of the bargain up because lots of people will be watching them carefully for compliance.

Also, as long as you disable scripts (or even just third party scripts) and Flash, that cuts out 99% of the malware anyway. Hopefully your browser is sandboxed well enough to block the other 1%, and if they are willing to make the effort then I'm willing to give them a chance.

Intel

Skylake Breaks 7GHz In Intel Overclocking World Record (hothardware.com) 35

MojoKid writes: Intel's latest generation of processors built on the Skylake architecture are efficient as well as seriously fast. The flagship, Core i7-6700K, is an interesting chip as it's clocked at a base 4GHz, and can peak at 4.2GHz with Turbo Boost. Of course, as fast as the 6700K is, overclocking can always help take things to the next level, or at least temporarily explore future potential. In Chi-Kui Lam's case, he did just that, and managed to break a world record for Intel processors along the way. Equipped with an ASRock motherboard, G.SKILL memory, and a beefy 1.3KW Antec power supply — not to mention liquid nitrogen — Lam managed to break through the 7GHz barrier to settle in at 7025.66MHz. A CPU-Z screenshot shows us that all cores but one were disabled — something traditionally done to improve the chances of reaching such high clock speeds.

Submission + - Raspberry Pi's Raspbian OS Finally Ships With Open-Source OpenGL Support (phoronix.com)

An anonymous reader writes: With this month's Raspbian OS update, the Debian-based operating system for the Raspberry Pi ships experimental OpenGL driver support. This driver has been developed over the past two years by a former Intel developer with having a completely open and mainline DRM kernel driver and Mesa Gallium driver to open up the Pi as a replacement to the proprietary GPU driver.

Comment Re:Oh look, another HaD cross post (Score 1) 50

To save others the trouble, it's just boring recollections of rookie mistakes the guy made many years ago, and some general mumbling about old IoT stories we read last year to make it seem vaguely relevant.

Perhaps instead of endless stories about how bad IoT is, maybe we could think about ways to make it better. I actually build IoT devices for a living (for the water industry) and security is something we think about. We came to the conclusion that, while convenient, over-the-air firmware updates are a bad idea, for example. Aside from the risk of someone abusing that mechanism, the potential for it to fail like it did with NEST is too great. Firmware updates are to be avoided if possible, or done in person.

Comment Re:Fear not for your batteries! (Score 1) 201

Tesla claim to have tested up to 750,000 miles with around 85% capacity remaining. That is about what you would expect, giving that the Panasonic cells they use are rated for 3000 cycles, and each cycle is 300 miles range, so 900,000 miles over their lifetime. Lifetime is defined as >80% remaining capacity.

Comment Re:Why not just call the entire Internet illegal? (Score 1) 80

The real problem is that the MAFIAA are trying to destroy themselves. People who download this stuff are not going to pay for it. You can't force them to. Many of them don't even have any money to give you, because they are kids or students. Sorry, but even the ones who have money don't value your work at â29.95 so there is no point trying to force them to pay it.

All they are doing is limiting their audience. Better to just ignore piracy and get on with producing good content that people are clearly willing to pay for. Hollywood is making more money than ever, it's not like piracy is killing them. Quite the opposite in fact, all the signs are that increasing the number of viewers, even if some don't pay, increases revenue.

Slashdot Top Deals

They are relatively good but absolutely terrible. -- Alan Kay, commenting on Apollos

Working...