The whole situation of it all, doesn't escape me. Look at a bigger picture. Perhaps there are a lot of scientists getting slagged. It may have nothing,something or everything to do with claims stated here. I am willing to explore the nothing or something of it, though.
What reasons can we find by wringing our memories of the events of , shall we say, the slashdot age?
1.Science tainted by money.
2. Science tainted by politics.
3. Science tainted by idiots.
4. Misled, mismanaged,misinterpreted research that misses the mark.
5. Broad misconceptions by an ever more distrustful public about the quality of bullshit now coming from the founts of Politics and Religion and now Science.
6. Bad timing
7. Good timing (we can't have that! REGULATE IT!)
8.Self affirmative hubris about infallibility of accepted assumptions based on findings of less enabled generations accepted as the norm by throngs of sheep.
9. Perpetual motion, zero point, cold fusion of snake oil that makes the media ahead of actual progress.
Finally 10. The Geeks seemingly stereotypical inability to interpret the fruit of social situations readily enough to figure out who he is pissing off with his findings/words/opinions and further his work by dissecting the politics of his environment in a lit room with both hands and a map.
Science isn't exactly out of this particular Dark Dis-information Age thing. Too much, too little , too late, two cold beers, please.