Follow Slashdot blog updates by subscribing to our blog RSS feed


Forgot your password?

Comment Re:Public Service (Score 1) 21

I think that a bit of "economic hardship" is important. I did not grow up privileged. I grew up very poor. And, let me say, that "very" poor is an understatement. I could write a book about it. I struggled to find economic success and myself. I worked my way through college (after dropping out of highschool) and still struggled. There were times when I wondered why? Why did I work those two jobs and take 12 hours of classes while raising my sons? I had no time to myself. None.

I did it for my two sons. And, in the end, I made it. I am not rich or even upper middle class. I see prices rising beyond what I can afford. So, I started gardening again and producing my own. I made pickles last summer that we are still eating. They turned out really good and I have become really an expert in canning. I refuse to depend on the government or anyone else for my livelihood. I am sort of independent and sort of stubborn. I like myself. My youngest thinks I am weird. Oh well. I guess I am. I own a small piece of property that can sustain my family in need. I own it. I am not over extended in debt. I am free of those worries. I think part of my unique situation is that I was raised by a Buddhist. My mother never thought much of material goods and frankly, I am sort of like her. I don't need to be the Joneses. The end. ;-) Gosh, I hate when I sound preachy but there you go.

United States

Submission + - waiting for: again?

mwilliamson writes: "I just got a phone call here at work playing back a pre-recorded message stating I hadn't completed filing with Turbotax and gave me a URL to finish. Like many others, I waited until the last night, could not file electronically so had to opt for the paper route. Although I used their system to download the mailable documents, they don't seem to know. Now the funny part...this URL seems to be down, probably due to overload this time evidently generated by their own call center. Bad turbotax! hehe The URL they had given was"

Slashdot Top Deals

The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.