Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!


Forgot your password?

Slashdot videos: Now with more Slashdot!

  • View

  • Discuss

  • Share

We've improved Slashdot's video section; now you can view our video interviews, product close-ups and site visits with all the usual Slashdot options to comment, share, etc. No more walled garden! It's a work in progress -- we hope you'll check it out (Learn more about the recent updates).


Comment: Re:Yes, I agree (Score 1) 560

by Cro Magnon (#49191721) Attached to: Why We Should Stop Hiding File-Name Extensions

My W7 work box still has "My Documents" on the C: drive, but nearly everything I do is on the network drive, and not only does it not have "My Documents", it doesn't even have "Documents". I've never understood why MS set it up that way. Something like "Users/CroMagnon" would make much more sense as a home directory. If I wanted a "Documents" or even "My Documents" I could put it there myself.

Comment: Re:Interesing... (Score 3, Insightful) 394

by Cro Magnon (#49138275) Attached to: Lawmakers Seek Information On Funding For Climate Change Critics

We need to change the voting system to something that breaks up the two party system. That will remove a lot of the idiotic deadlock over some of these things that should be moved to the non-issue category.

Sadly, the only thing both parties agree on is the two party system.

Comment: Re:Oh great ... (Score 4, Funny) 188

by Cro Magnon (#49131553) Attached to: Google Now Automatically Converts Flash Ads To HTML5

Would you rather go to a pay model?

False dichotomy. "No ads" and "ads that pop-up or auto-play without permission" are not the only alternatives. I have no problem with text ads, and I don't mind non-flashing banner ads. Not all marketers are assholes.

Yeah, the 99% give the other 1% a bad name.

Comment: Re:If I accidently tread on a book (Score 1) 260

by Cro Magnon (#49128507) Attached to: The Case Against E-readers -- Why Digital Natives Prefer Reading On Paper

I've had dogs eat and/or poop on books. I've lost books in my "junk" room, otherwise known as the "Room of No Return". I've also had e-readers damaged, lost, or just went pfft for no reason, but I never lost any books that way. Worst case, I'd buy a new reader and DL the books from Amazon. I'd say the odds of losing an ebook from Amazon is less than the odds of my house burning down with its thousands of paper books.

Comment: Re:If I were a publisher, I'd definitely agree (Score 1) 260

by Cro Magnon (#49128341) Attached to: The Case Against E-readers -- Why Digital Natives Prefer Reading On Paper

I still like reading dead tree books, but they are a problem to store & transport. I had a stretch when I wasn't buying books because I had no place to put them. Now, I don't have to worry about that. I also only had one book to read while waiting in the waiting room or auto place. Now I have any book in my library, and can even buy something new on the road.

Comment: Re:Not Censorship (Score 1) 285

by Cro Magnon (#49121939) Attached to: Google Knocks Explicit Adult Content On Blogger From Public View

Sometimes it's for FCC guidelines so it's at least related to government in such cases, but different radio stations exercise different disciplines. For example a song that references weed gets bleeped on one local station, but not another in my area.

The meaning of a word is not something that should be politicized...

Yup. I've seen "Die Hard" in the theater, and I've seen it on network TV. The words are very different in each.

Comment: Re:visibility doesnt matter. (Score 1) 241

by Cro Magnon (#49119323) Attached to: Al-Shabaab Video Threat Means Heightened Security at Mall of America

I don't know any sources, but considering that the above said eight times more likely than terrorism, that's still pretty damn low.

Statistically speaking, I'll probably get killed by some woman driving a car while texting, eating, and applying makeup at the same time. But, to be fair, it probably will happen while I'm going to the mall.

Build a system that even a fool can use and only a fool will want to use it.