Due to the fact that the post I replied to was modded "insightful" and the fact that you even exist I am done with Slashdot.
Slashdot videos: Now with more Slashdot!
We've improved Slashdot's video section; now you can view our video interviews, product close-ups and site visits with all the usual Slashdot options to comment, share, etc. No more walled garden! It's a work in progress -- we hope you'll check it out (Learn more about the recent updates).
"I like objective truth and objective reality"
Yep, those are nice. And they're very helpful for about 1% of life. The other 99% is messy and emotional but still worth figuring out, because it's the 99% part that gives us the most trouble.
And why would you ignore the semantics of my sentence except to be obtuse? Quite likely my meaning was understood by everyone but you.
You and your hair-splitting ilk are what take the fun out of online interaction.
"It's not her fault she likes fucking"
It's also not her fault that if she even would be willing to admit that she'd be labeled a "slut."
Yep. From the article:
"And while no galaxy has literally disappeared to the point where it's invisible, 97% of them have disappeared in the sense that they're unreachable to us, and that the light they're emitting today will never reach us. The galaxies are still visible, but only due to their old light."
They're not disappearing from THE universe, they're disappearing from OUR universe.
"Let's say there are 10-15% of psychopaths in society..."
That number is WAY too high. If it was that high we would be in much worse shape than we are. The estimate is 3-5%. Isn't it amazing? It only take 3-5% of the population to really give a good go at ruining it for everyone.
I don't. And since everyone is just spouting opinions I'll add mine. We've been messing with the food supply too much. We're consuming vast quantities of starch and stuff sweetened with corn syrup and who knows what else. I think we might be engineering our way into bad health.
Also, and this is not a character flaw, I don't think people are honest with themselves about how much sugary stuff they consume. I've been thin all my life (for various reasons, not the least of which is a physically active lifestyle) but I went through a period where I was hanging out with some guys who went to the vending machines every afternoon. I ended up eating a lot of candy and I put on 10+ pounds in no time. The great thing was that I realized what was going on and stopped eating any sugary stuff and the weight dropped right back off.
At work I see people who talk about wanting to lose weight and yet get ice cream every day. It's not a character flaw, but it is a choice. If it's not important to you I'm OK with that. We all have our priorities.
You're playing right now, aren't you?
"No politician in this universe wants to be the one who willfully signs the death certificates of highly trained, highly intelligent and skilled people."
I don't know why. They usually have no problem sending large numbers of people to their deaths. All we need to do is convince them that there are probably terrorists on Mars and it'll be a done deal.
I don't know, but the poll question explicitly states "conventionally alive." At this point the usual indication of death is brain death. Even if you choose other indicators you're only changing the granularity of date of death by a little bit in the big picture.
"...do you KNOW how many laws there are at the Federal, State, County, and municipal level there are on the books..."
That's not even the end of it. If the federal government decides they want to persecute you badly enough they will figure out a TREATY that you somehow violated.
"The short version: If you're not forced to skip meals and not forced to sweat your ass off just to put food on the table, you're going to have a surfeit of calories, and neither your metabolism or hunger mechanism got the memo."
In the 1950s the US was not in the dark ages. We did not have to sweat our butts off just to put food on the table. We enjoyed a huge wave of prosperity. And yet, as a nation we were thinner.
You can if you do it right.
You want pictures? Here ya go!
It's amazing that it then took so long for the invention of the triple axel, however.