>"What you, Slashdot readers, think Netflix's next move will be? Or do you think the company will soon become just another name in its respective category?"
I don't know what it WILL do, but I know things it NEEDS to do.....
1) We are all sick of cable. Netflix needs to secure all programs they can with quality networks such as NatGeo, History, etc, and offer a micropayment plan- charge for what we want actually see. I would gladly pay $0.50/hr or more per hour of entertainment and have that money go to support what I like to watch. ZERO money from me going to ESPN, Golf channel, Goldfish channel, etc, etc.
2) They need a model to also allow downloads in a DVR-like mode. Things ready-to-watch with no sucking of prime-time bandwidth, and with smooth and instant trick play, whether there is an Internet connection at that time or not.
3) Lay off the gimmicks (4k, 3D, etc) and concentrate on content.
4) Searchable library from the website. It is stupid to try and hide what you have or don't have.
5) Never, ever try to introduce commercials or ANY forced content into your streaming or you will quickly alienate most of your customers in a way that could destroy your company very quickly.