Now if only they'd bother to fix the of tons bugs, and terrible GUI.
As someone who has literally used VLC for thousands of hours of content: I've accrued over a dozen bugs. I'm putting together a video on it.
A few gems:
- Complete disrespect for monitor gamma. Everything looks better in MPC. In VLC, everything is white washed.
- Incorrect use of streams. Ignores "disabled audio streams" which exist as secondary streams (other languages, as opposed to 5.1 and 2.0 of the primary language). VLC plays the first stream, so if you have content with RUSSIAN as the first track (even though it's disabled, per proper spec), enjoy manually switching the audio track every episode. But "Just press b!" the choir moaned! I guess my media center needs a full keyboard to make it useful then.
- And why the hell is there no Randomize playlist? They got room for useless features like AtmoLight but a shuffle mode that doesn't have a chance of replaying the same episode three times in a row--that's too much to ask.
- Oh, and don't you just love the complete lack of "default units" in the GUI? Sure, you can change gamma, contrast, and brightness, but if you dare to you better pray you remember where the normal values are because there's no digital readout, and no markers to show you defaults positions. And the scale of the GUI sliders is insane. The useful region of the Sharpness effect is between 0% and like 10%. The other 90% is useless over-sharpening. So that means you get to use a slider with a region of about a quarter of an inch. So you're stuck using the keyboard to fine-tune a control that should be mouse controllable.
- Post-processesing? Right-click you can set the post-processing. But the top menu shows post-processing as greyed out. Why? Because they broke post-processing in one update long ago and never fixed it. But not only that, they only disabled ONE of the two menus that allow you to adjust it. So they literally have broken GUI menus they never bothered to fix in "stable" versions.
Ugh. As a programmer, I have to ask? What the hell happened to VLC? Did their programmers all move on and get replaced with a bunch of people who have no idea what they're doing? (Happens more often then you think with open-source projects.)