Catch up on stories from the past week (and beyond) at the Slashdot story archive

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
Trust the World's Fastest VPN with Your Internet Security & Freedom - A Lifetime Subscription of PureVPN at 88% off. Also, Slashdot's Facebook page has a chat bot now. Message it for stories and more. ×

Comment Let's be clear (Score 1) 387

The Constitution applies to the U.S. government and to the citizens of the united states. It does not include geographic limitations of any kind. All of this making borders a Constitution free zone is completely unConstitutional. I don't care if the ground I am standing on is legally considered to be the Greater 2nd Empire of Mars, I am still a U.S. Citizen and the border guard is still a representative of the U.S. government. The Constitution applies. Obviously it isn't being respected, but it certainly applies.

Comment Re:tax profit yes but not to slow automation (Score 4, Insightful) 365

Smart machines are already much better at tasks I used to do by hand.

In the 1980s I was hand-writing 6502 assembly code. I don't do that anymore. I don't even know how most of the current Skylake, et. al. x86 instruction sets work - smart machines do that for me.

I used to hand-code instructions to 16550 UART chips to feed data across RS-232 lines, I handled the framing, timing, response to interrupt when the 16 byte buffer was ready for more data, etc. Today I'm issuing packets to AMQP exchanges that distribute them over TCP/IP, my data doesn't just travel across the room, it's distributed globally, and "smart machines" handle a half dozen protocol layers between my data and the kind of things I used to program the 16550 chips to do.

People built those "robots" in the last 20 years, and because of them we're all doing more, with less work. (let's not even get into the contrast between /. and the BBS code I wrote to run over a 300 baud modem...)

Comment Re:Modern money theory (Score 1) 365

Gates doesn't miss this point. He's got his billions, nobody's going to "claw back" all his money in retroactive taxes. What he's trying to say is that the next generation of multi-billionaires need to give more back up front, instead of getting to make the world's largest pile of cash and then attempting to figure out where to give away 10% of it before they die.

Comment Re:Modern money theory (Score 1) 365

Society still can't afford to give them the care that they need, but with robots that care can become so much less expensive that what they can get will become better.

No, and yes. Society _can_ afford quality medical care, the delivery and compensation model in the U.S. is just so utterly twisted, inbred and corrupt that it only appears like we can't afford basic healthcare for everyone. Can every IED victim have a copy of the latest most highly developed prosthetics? No, but if we develop that tech in a responsible manner, maybe 2% of them can, and the other 98% can benefit from the much more highly developed, refined, and cost optimized 5-10 year old designs. The same goes for advanced care across the board - yes, it should be developed, no, we should not all be trying the latest theoretical cure for our incurable cancer when we might possibly benefit from it, or not - that's one of many problems with new med-tech - limited availability, unknown outcomes, astronomical costs, etc.

Will robots drive medical care costs down? Yes, but not nearly as fast as our current insanity of a care delivery and insurance system is spiraling costs upward.

Comment Re:What a load... (Score 1) 365

Prices are, and have been, whatever the market will bear. Very few prices are driven down globally by competition - retailers like WalMart will jack up prices 2x and more (same good, different prices in stores less than 20 miles apart) when they can get away with it, because of captive markets, or markets that don't comparison shop, etc.

Price competition is real, but it's not nearly as ubiquitous as "free market" champions think it is.

Comment Re:The Cxx that took my job should pay taxes (Score 1) 365

When your goal is to reduce headcount, you should have to pay for it.

People who say this are morons...

If you make it expensive to fire people or lay them off (like they do in parts of Europe), then people are very reluctant to hire in the first place...

Companies will then do anything they can to avoid hiring anyone extra to start with...

Because they're so generous with their hiring today? When corporations are hiring full-time benefit positions with 6 weeks of vacation, maternity leave, and decent healthcare, I'll start believing that they have a good working system... who has these things today, Europe, or the USA?

Slashdot Top Deals

Money isn't everything -- but it's a long way ahead of what comes next. -- Sir Edmond Stockdale

Working...