Forgot your password?
typodupeerror

Comment: Re:Uh.. no (Score 1) 705

by noidentity (#35270218) Attached to: Why You Shouldn't Reboot Unix Servers

I agree it shouldn't be relied upon as a troubleshooting step (you need to know what broke, why, and why it won't happen again). That said, if you go years without rebooting a machine... there is a good chance that if you ever do (to replace hardware for instance) it won't come back up without issue. Verifying that the system still boots correctly is imo a good idea.

This doesn't contradict his advice, as you're suggesting to reboot every few months when the machine is working. His advice is to not use a reboot as the first step in solving a problem. If anything, a periodic reboot when it's working is probably in-line with his advice, as it's a way to uncover more problems that may be lurking, at a time when things seem to be working (and hopefully when the downtime won't be a big issue, like during low load).

Comment: Re:Encryption on chip approved by (Score 1) 60

by noidentity (#35249658) Attached to: New SHA Functions Boost Crypto On 64-bit Chips
I read this as an algorithm that is better-suited for modern 64-bit processors, NOT one which is implemented specially in hardware. At the very minimum, this would mean that it can easily be calculated using 64-bit integers (and using the entire 64 bits, not just the low 32 bits), and perhaps also easily implemented using SSE2, and allow lots of parallelism, etc.

Comment: Re:Not what they say it is.... (Score 1) 469

by noidentity (#35248172) Attached to: Goodbye, HD Component Video
How does SD content look on it, particularly video games? I've always got the impression that HD CRTs basically are fixed-frequency computer monitors running at 1080p/i, so that if you feed it a lower resolution, it digitizes it, then upscales (and thus looks crappy, like on an LCD). I've been holding on to my SD CRT for playing video games, but keep seeing people getting rid of HD CRTs (for free, even).

Comment: Re:But... (Score 1) 549

by noidentity (#35247418) Attached to: Are Tablets Just Too Expensive?

With a gold backed currency, you can still adjust the size of the money supply by adjusting the reserve requirements for banks issuing debt.

If you had a 10% gold-backed currency, the other 90% would be what causes the problems, since it's not backed and thus can be counterfeited (by adjusting the backing requirement). Counterfeiting has the same destructive effect, no matter who's doing it.

Comment: Re:The value of gold is stable (Score 1) 549

by noidentity (#35247374) Attached to: Are Tablets Just Too Expensive?
True, though its value does increase slightly relative to other things over time, because their relative value falls. Electronics are an obvious example, where even inflationary fiat currencies are worth more electronics every year. But even other things SHOULD slowly lower in cost over time since production is improved so that they don't take as many resources to produce. I'm not grasping the deflationary thing, though; are others really suggesting that someone would just stop buying things because their dollar cost is falling each year? I take it these people don't ever upgrade their PCs then, since their costs fall quite a bit every year.

Comment: Re:I drive with my thoughts all the time (Score 1) 137

by noidentity (#35246838) Attached to: A Car You Can Drive With Your Thoughts
Yep, it's silly how people always long for these "direct" interfaces, even though we already have them. It's mostly irrelevant the mechanism, as long as we can go from thought to information across the interface. Now, when we have high-bandwidth ones that dwarf our current ones, it'll be different.

Comment: Re:Can't wait to see what happens (Score 1) 137

by noidentity (#35246784) Attached to: A Car You Can Drive With Your Thoughts

On the other hand when the higher level aspects of my brain think "Man that jogger is hot", it doesn't cause my arms to immediately turn the wheel towards her. The trick would be to tap into that part of my brain that causes muscles to move or things to happen, rather than that part which is constantly distracted by shiny objects.

Yeah, if only we had a device that could detect brain impulses that move muscles, but not ones that merely shift one's gaze or thoughts. Imagine what you could do with a whole matrix of them on a flat surface...

We are experiencing system trouble -- do not adjust your terminal.

Working...