1. Learn C. Learn it well enough to write a small baseball simulator that you're reasonably proud of, graphics are unnecessary. 6 months.
2. Rewrite the logic of the game as inline x86 assembly. 2 months.
3. Add network capability to 1. 2 months.
4. Setup a sql database (use the baseball database data) and write a network sql app. 3 months.
4. Buy and skim Advanced UNIX Programming, Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment. 1 months.
5. Play around with nmap and metasploit. 1 months.
Congrats. You're now a hacker / penetration tester.