Language exchange is one of the most obvious uses of videoconference over the Internet; it's been done ever since broadband (basically anything faster than dial-up) Internet access was widely available, with plenty of sites devoted to that purpose.
Is it news because it's about elderly Americans and young Brazilians? This is more like an unabashed slashvertisement.
Not that I'd use a tablet for serious work.
If you're interested in a MSC online and don't mind if it's from a UK university, you might want to check out the University of Liverpool. I think they will accept you on this one. Price was around 18,000 GBP 4 years ago. Some modules are a breeze but others are a PITA; the modules involving group work can be an interesting experience or a really painful one, depending on your group. Their collaboration tools were message boards and crappy Java-based chats and whiteboards; a few fellow students couldn't use voice chat or better collaboration tools because of Internet censorship in their countries, and some other students were rather incompetent. Once you start a module, you're committed to turn out weekly assignments for eight consecutive weeks. They claim you can complete it dedicating between 10 and 20 hours a week, but prepare to work more if you're unlucky.
So I'm not exactly selling it but if you're interested don't be put off; my experience is anecdotal and their website looks pretty different now, everything might have changed. Ask around if you can (I think they have a forum on LinkedIn).
They didn't leave cave paintings or anything that indicates capacity for symbolic reasoning.
We aren't so sure about that.
Good point, though it doesn't actually refute GP. Computers are deterministic*. On the other hand, programs, functions, etc may not be deterministic.
* Except devices specifically designed not to be deterministic, such as hardware random number generators that rely on quantum, electron phenomena, etc. Then again I'm not sure it is correct to call such devices computers.
My point is not that the headline is more likely to be misread than read correctly (although I suspect this particular one might be), but that (c.? a.?) ambiguity can and should be avoided regardless.
The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.