An anonymous reader writes: Did you know that one of the world’s hottest boomtowns for mobile technology is Atlanta?
Consider the facts:
- All told, Atlanta has 24,000 jobs in mobile app development, creating an economic impact at just over $1 billion.
- Georgia ranks fifth in “App Intensity” according to the Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association (CTIA) which measures the ratio of app developer jobs against overall tech jobs in an area.
- In the last year alone, nine mobile startups were launched here, creating nearly 1,000 jobs for metro Atlanta
- One of the hottest mobile startups – AirWatch – calls Atlanta home along with top mobile service provider AT&T, mobile marketing leaders CocaCola and the Home Depot, as well as some of the world’s largest mobile content providers like CNN, the Weather Channel and many others.
- Colleges like Georgia Tech, Emory University, and the University of Georgia turn out technology talent every year to go to work at Atlanta’s mobile technology companies.
- The city is poised to lead in mobile payments. 70 percent of all credit card transactions in the U.S. go through Atlanta
With smartphones projected to be in the hands of 1.279 billion people by 2016, companies in Atlanta are making bold moves to put their mark on the mobile future. Check out the attached infographic to see what we mean.
Representatives from CocaCola, AT&T and AirWatch spoke at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona yesterday about Atlanta’s wireless industry ecosystem and how it is on the forefront of driving mobile innovation.