Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
Trust the World's Fastest VPN with Your Internet Security & Freedom - A Lifetime Subscription of PureVPN at 88% off. Also, Slashdot's Facebook page has a chat bot now. Message it for stories and more. ×

Comment Re:I wish they would... (Score 2) 69

Yeah, I've been to my fair share of technical classes where the self practice projects were broken to the point where they couldn't be completed.

Some proper QA testing would probably catch that, but most companies seem to be cheaping out on proper QA now. Sure, why not try a "public beta" first to work out the bugs.

Comment Re: I predict (Score 1) 557

There are flavors of Linux that are end user friendly, like Android or ChromeOS.

Distributions like Ubuntu and Red Hat aren't even close, however. Even now, the UI's seem to be designed to only handle about 90% of common configuration options, with the remaining 10% still requiring users to log onto the command line with sudo/root access or edit obscure configuration files to resolve problems like driver issues.

Sorry guys, but most end users even more afraid of the command line now than they were 10 years ago. If you require users to do this to solve a problem, you've failed at your job as a UI designer.

Comment My podcast playlist right now (Score 2) 268

Crimetown
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History -- This one is good for long car trips, as the podcasts are huge
Freaknomics
Heavyweight
Homecoming
How I Built This -- NPR's version of Startup
Planet Money
Reply All
Serial
StartUp
Surprisingly Awesome
TED Radio Hour
This American Life -- Ira Glass probably introduced me to half of the other podcasts on this list
and This Week In Computer Hardware

Comment Re:Why do they care? (Score 4, Informative) 120

I'd think that it's pretty obvious why they care. Game publishers don't like it when someone gives a promotional game download code to a friend, so they can install the game for free. Their suits probably consider that to be a "lost sale", where the person might have otherwise paid 50 bucks get the game themselves if they weren't given a download code.

Of course, most of the games that are bundled with video cards often aren't worth anywhere near their retail prices to purchase. The suits probably wouldn't want to admit to that in public, though.

I'd also imagine that Nvidia also doesn't like the idea of someone using the game download codes that they paid for being used on other systems with AMD and Intel graphics, but this probably doesn't bother them as much as the game publishers. They still got paid for the hardware that got purchased, anyway.

Comment The rules don't see fair... do they? (Score 1) 40

This part of the rules seems unduly harsh:

"Any team whose lander hasn't left the launchpad by then is automatically out of the running."

I think that SpaceX is behind schedule for their launches because of that rocket that recently blew up while fueling. Why penalize the team for an issue with their launch provider?

Comment Re:USB limitations (Score 2) 115

The Raspberry Pi 3 also doesn't have Gigabit Ethernet or a SATA port, two more reasons why it doesn't make for a very good file server.

It does make a pretty damn good embedded web server, though. You can install the full LAMP stack on the MicroSD card of that thing right from the Raspbian repos.

Comment Unsigned Java Applets (Score 1) 55

These security changes make just make it tougher and tougher to support "legacy" Java applets that are unsigned. Forget Java 8... even the newer versions of Java 7 can't run them anymore.

I guess that it's good that they fix these issues, but they need to offer workarounds or I'm going to have to keep installing Java 6 on some customer machines to keep their legacy crap running.

Slashdot Top Deals

"What I've done, of course, is total garbage." -- R. Willard, Pure Math 430a

Working...