>> if you're paying anything other than Apples standard price, it's probably fake
Nope. There are many categories.
1) genuine from the brand
2) Genuine but "night shift made" copycats. : come from the same factory (eg. Foxconn,...), same line. These are no counterfeits, they do not bear the trademark. THEY ARE LEGAL.
3) "Genuine" but "night shift made" counterfeits : same as above, but bear the mark, so are illegal counterfeits (in some small countries like hte USA)
4) Licenced compatibles. Bang and Olufsen, Brose. whatever. Compatible, genuine, licenced, and pricey, sometimes cost more then the original.THEY ARE LEGAL..
5) Good copies that are safe but not stamped as such by approval mark. THEY ARE LEGAL. The best cost/benefit ratio in this list !!!!!!!!
6) Bad copies that are unsafe but not illegal due to trademark, they are illegal due to safety.
7) Bad clones that are unsafe and wrongly branded, thus illegal twice.
8) Very Very Bad copies that are very very unsafe and wrongly branded, thus illegal 3 times, and very dangerous.
9) Scams that only take your money, and don't bother delivering any product at all. At least it's safe.