Become a fan of Slashdot on Facebook

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
Check out the new SourceForge HTML5 internet speed test! No Flash necessary and runs on all devices. ×

Comment Re:Google, Motorola, Intel . . . (Score 3, Insightful) 139

1) money will come back into the US and help our economy

It's unproven that money being shifted from an overseas bank to a US bank will "help the economy".

In fact, if it comes back and ends up in the hands of a few or used for one company to buy another it could very well hurt our economy.

Further, it's not "the economy" that needs help. It's people. And for the past 35 years, there's been little proof that helping the former necessarily helps the latter.

Comment More likely medical practice, not evolution (Score 4, Interesting) 243

Well 0.36/0.30 = 20% growth and it's only been ~2 generations, if you consider that most of the 3% in one generation will have kids with the other 97% in the next generation it seems unlikely to happen this fast. It's probable that it's more routine and we're more cautious today, so borderline cases get the surgery now where they wouldn't in the past.

Comment Re:Why notSimultaneous release toTheaters and iTun (Score 1) 49

It's a protection racket by the cinemas, most chains will refuse to show any movie that doesn't have an exclusivity period. As long as they stay united on this and only B-movies can survive on a direct to TV/DVD budget, nothing will change. It's pretty obvious they'd all lose business if they let competitors enter the market, so they don't.

Comment Re:More holes than swiss cheese (Score 2) 71

OK, so I'm an amateur, and I don't know squat, but even I know you don't ever run Adobe Flash for any reason on your browser. And if you really really feel the need to run Adobe Flash, you do it in a throwaway browser that you only use to run Adobe Flash. So is this really news.

You don't know squat about knowing squat. People who don't know squat aren't even able to tell that "you are infected click here to fix" is just a web banner and not an actual dialog box, much less what a browser or a plug-in or flash is. I'll also give you the Star Trek universal translation matrix, whenever people like that are asked "Do you want to flubber the gavot on the pinoshi? [Yes][No]" or anything else incomprehensible it translates to "You want this to work? [Yes][No]" and they click yes yes yes. They've given up trying to understand, much less figure out if the dialog is actually genuine.

Comment Re:Yeah but... (Score 4, Interesting) 199

I have the perfect comeback to those ignorant fucks..."Are YOU gonna accept responsibility and pay for any and all damages if your site serves malware? No? Then you are knowingly aiding and abetting malware vendors, kindly fuck off".

If they want to be treated like legitimate businesses? Then they have to accept the responsibility legitimate businesses have. If a business doesn't secure their premises and cause harm to their patrons? They are responsible for the clean up, look at the mounds of money TJ Maxx and Target had to pay for their lack of security, but these websites want us to treat them as legitimate businesses show the same lack of responsibility as some fly by night topsite? Sorry can't have your cake and eat it too, either you have the same responsibilities as a real business or you don't deserve any more consideration than a cracksite or any other dodgy place on the wild web.

Slashdot Top Deals

Once it hits the fan, the only rational choice is to sweep it up, package it, and sell it as fertilizer.

Working...