Follow Slashdot stories on Twitter

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
Check out the new SourceForge HTML5 internet speed test! No Flash necessary and runs on all devices. ×

Comment Re:Private industry doing it better than governmen (Score 1) 126

The good thing about private industry is that there are laws penalizing them for this kind of behavior

And how often has anyone received a meaningful punishment for this sort of thing? That would be somewhere close to . . . never.

and they can also be sued.

And how often has anyone been successfully sued over this sort of thing? See the answer to the question above.

Comment Re:That is huge.. (Score 3, Interesting) 146

[T]his sort of thing is just going to get worse when crappy / non-existant IoT security devices exposed themselves to the web via large-capacity fiber and cable connections. [I]t's already bad enough with compromised routers and computers. Most people won't get protected. [T]hey'll just get knocked off the web at will by people like this.

As noted in the article: "the situation is exacerbated by the failure of many ISPs to implement the BCP38 security standard to filter spoofed traffic"

There is something of an inverse relationship -- at least in the U.S. The bigger an ISP is, the less likely they are to give a shit.

Comment Re:Twitter Board (Score 1) 65

What do they talk about at a board meeting for any company? Look at the board of directors for just about any company and they are all executives at other companies, i.e., they already have a full time job, probably in another part of the country, so there's no way for them to be familiar with the day-to-day operations of another business. So, the CEO comes in, feeds them a bunch of bullshit, everyone agrees, meeting adjourned.

Comment Re:Which RAID level? (Score 2) 475

From the ZDnet article:

To improve system performance, Lenovo is leading an industry trend of adopting RAID on the SSDs in certain product configurations.

Which RAID level works best with a single drive?

Yes, that's the part I don't understand. RAID and a single drive doesn't make any sense. Unless you don't understand what the acronym RAID means.

Comment Re:Call the BBB then return it. (Score 4, Interesting) 475

Scream from the highest rooftop. Get the BBB involved.

You obviously don't understand how the BBB works. If you want to pursue a complaint, the BBB will offer arbitration, with the BBB as arbitrator. Since a business must pay a yearly fee to belong to the BBB you now have a situation where it's you against a business and the arbitrator has been paid by the business. How do suppose that's going to work out? I can tell you because I got ripped off by a local business for $500 and learned the hard way how the BBB really works.

Comment Re:Amazon puts its customers LAST (Score 3, Funny) 110

The most likely algorithm being used by Amazon is to take 1% or less of the results that actually matched the query, throw away all the other matches, and backfill with 99% containing what Amazon wants to sell without any reference whatsoever to what was requested.

Sounds like someone at Amazon copied Google's search algorithm.

Comment Wow - What Complete Bullshit (Score 2) 110

a spokesman for Amazon said the algorithm that selects which product goes into the "buy box" accounts for a range of factors beyond price. "Customers trust Amazon to have great prices, but that's not all -- vast selection, world-class customer service and fast, free delivery are critically important,"

If I want to buy a widget and I'm looking for the one rated best or cheapest or whatever, why would that rating be affected by (a) how big Amazon's selection of products is (b) how good Amazon's customer service is (c) Amazon offering free delivery. Those things may be important in deciding whether or not to buy from Amazon, but how is any of that even remotely relevant to which widget is best or cheapest?

What a load of fuck.

Comment Re:Youtube is a Modern Radio / MTV (Score 1) 125

The record industry clearly sees Youtube as a value advertising mechanism or they wouldn't be uploading every video they make to Youtube.

Remember when Viacom sued YouTube and then it was revealed that many of the videos Viacom was suing over were actually uploaded by . . . Viacom.

Good times, good times.

Slashdot Top Deals

In 1750 Issac Newton became discouraged when he fell up a flight of stairs.

Working...