Firefox is really fast, depending on many factors
I upgraded from Kubuntu 14.04 to 16.04, and Firefox is the fastest I have seen in years. Maybe it is because Canonical have switched to the 64bit version, or something else. This is on an 8 year old laptop.
Regardless, you have to install the following:
- uBlock Origin (block ads)
- Cookie Monster (Don't accept cookies except from white listed sites)
- Classic Theme Restorer (Makes it look familiar)
- Auto Unload Tab (reduces memory footprint)
Optionally, you may also want to install:
- Session Manager (Never lose track of your open tabs)
- Add This (for easy content sharing)
I have Chromium, Opera, Konqueror and Rekonq on the same machine, and it used to be that Chromium and Opera are faster, but the former has a high memory footprint. But with 16.04, Firefox is the fastest.
Sticking with Firefox for the foreseeable future