> Don't put key assets on a common network% of unaffected .
> If you are an individual or business, it's your choice:
> * Accept the costs of not being vulnerable (stay disconnected)
> In modern society, the first option isn't an option for most people and most companies.
Ex-bleeping-scuse me, we've got too much stuff connected to the internet, and exposed to take-over, already. Here's "The Killshot Event" scenario...
It's the middle of January, and the weather forecast is calling for a major blizzard along the US East Coast, followed by a brutal cold spell. The blizzard is due to hit the coast around midnight. As millions of commuters are driving home before the storm, "the enemy" takes over GM Onstar to shut down 10% of all cars on the road. You know how badly traffic gets f****d-up with just 1 or 2 stalled vehicles at the wrong place? Well, imagine thousands of cars in each major city shutting down on major roads in each city. They, along with the other 90% of "unaffected" vehicles are stranded on the road.
Simultaneously, "the enemy" sets off a few well-placed bombs. Hitting major transmission lines knocks out most electrical service. A couple of bombs around internet fiber knocks out a lot of internet service. It also knocks out a lot of telephony, which is now IP-based, except for "the last mile", which is still copper wiring.
Motorists have to leave their vehicles or freeze to death inside. If they're in the city. instead of a suburban freeway, they might make their way to a major store or office building before midnight. Then the cold front moves in. With no electricity, there's no heating or running water. Because the roads are clogged with abandoned cars, utilities can't send out emergency crews to manually restart electrical generators. And food supply chains seize up. Even the people who've made it home or into a major building will soon start dying of cold and starvation. Chaos ensues, and martial law is declared.
That scenario is possible right now. Sigh.