Slashdot is powered by your submissions, so send in your scoop


Forgot your password?
DEAL: For $25 - Add A Second Phone Number To Your Smartphone for life! Use promo code SLASHDOT25. Also, Slashdot's Facebook page has a chat bot now. Message it for stories and more. Check out the new SourceForge HTML5 Internet speed test! ×

Comment I own three OLED screens (Score 1) 238

A Nexus 6p, a 55" 1080p OLED LG, and the new Alienware 13" OLED gaming laptop. I did comparisons to the best LED laptops and monitors. The OLEDs cream them all, even for plain text. As for screen size vs color vs black level, I find black level and color far more important. I do most of my watching on the 13" laptop. The kids watch on the big OLED. My wife watches mostly on her LED laptop, but that's because she watches in bed, and there's no longer a TV in the bedroom. She also insists on watching without glasses, so there you go.

Comment Re:Driving yes, but charging? (Score 1) 990

Eventually enough EVs will be charging overnight that we'lll exceed the baseline power that companies need to make, but I expect that is decades off, and it will probably never occur. At that point, there will be so much rooftop solar that people will be happy to charge during the day.

Comment Re:Driving yes, but charging? (Score 1) 990

So your building owner is incapable of running power cords to the garage or having assigned parking? Almost every complex around here has assigned parking, and even 120V chargers, running off simple power plugs, work fine for the majority of drivers. We have the 240V because, well, overkill.

Comment Re:Driving yes, but charging? (Score 1) 990

That just means we need more chargers. The same thing happens when gas station lines get huge. There's no reason we can't have chargers all over the place. Simply mandate that some fraction of all new parking spaces have 240V EV charging, and write increased power requirements into code. Problem more than solved.

Comment Re:Driving yes, but charging? (Score 1) 990

If you go over 100 miles in a day 3-4 times a month, you're in the minority. We go over 100 miles a day maybe half that often. Even then, a Volt, with 50 miles of EV range, would save you massive money. Even better, a short range EV for 80% of your driving and then a gas-powered car for the other 20% would end up saving you money. Gas, depreciation, and maintenance would more than pay for the cost of the EV, including insurance.

Comment Re:Driving yes, but charging? (Score 5, Interesting) 990

People don't have gas stations at home either. Building up infrastructure at home, work, and shopping centers can solve that issue. Every powered kiosk for street parking in urban areas can become a paid charging station. I know plenty of workplaces that offer charging during the day. As for people in dense urban areas like NYC, they largely don't have cars.

We have two 240v charging stations in the garage, for our two super-cheap EVs (Chevy Spark EV and Fiat 500e). Our rooftop solar power production offsets approximately 100% of the power we use, including the cars and electric water heating. We have two other cars that rarely get used.

Rock and roll.

Comment Re:What goes around.... (Score 3, Informative) 204

Pro-Israel pages get removed on a regular basis. Ant-Israel pages and antisemitic pages live long and strong. I'm fully in support of taking down violent pro-Israel pages. I think you'd be hard pressed to find one. Meanwhile, in Arabic, Facebook is filled with pro-stabbing, death-to-Jews messaging.

Slashdot Top Deals

Intel CPUs are not defective, they just act that way. -- Henry Spencer