Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
DEAL: For $25 - Add A Second Phone Number To Your Smartphone for life! Use promo code SLASHDOT25. Also, Slashdot's Facebook page has a chat bot now. Message it for stories and more. Check out the new SourceForge HTML5 Internet speed test! ×

Comment Re:So what's the issue? (Score 1) 132

It's a Bank

They wouldn’t even lift a finger to save their own grandmothers from the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal without orders signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public inquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters.

Douglas Adams

Comment Re:So what's the issue? (Score 1) 132

Because when you think “this will work for 99% of cases” the corollary is “the rest of 1% can go fudge themselves”. Sometimes that is fine, but if a person can't get their pension, that is certainly not ok. Consider this a cautionary tale for programmers.

Why blame the programmers? For all we know this was in the business requirements

Comment Re:This always worked for me... (Score 1) 184

while doubling the entire amount allows for the customer seeing the first result and _then_ telling you what they really want.

You are handling scope creep wrong. Agree the scope then estimate and charge appropriately if they wan't to change the scope you re-estimate (Including for backtracking and scraping existing work that has already been done) and then charge them again.

Rince and repeat

Comment Re:Cry me a river (Score 4, Interesting) 258

It's a tragedy that this guy killed himself but I'm sure that working for a bunch of assholes was just a contributing factor the guy had clearly successfully moved jobs several times in the past and I'm sure it wouldn't have been difficult for him to do it again. That his widow is suing Uber over his suicide just smacks of jumping on the "Everyone Hates Uber" bandwagon

Comment Re:slashdotters are happy (Score 1) 180

No Slashdotters are happy because now they can jump the gun without actually reading the summary (never mind the actual article) and rail against the idea that men might actually become obsolete when actually the summary & article are about an alternative to the incubator which will hopefully reduce the premature birth mortality rate by an order of magnitude.

Comment Re:ALL HAIL MALWARE (Score 1) 93

So the ISP didn't do enough security patching and left their clients vulnerable to malware. BrickerBot just stopped their devices from being used to hack/ddos others. I'm not saying either is right but surely the ISP is guilty of not doing due diligence. Blaming BrickerBot alone is not the answer.

Slashdot Top Deals

In the realm of scientific observation, luck is granted only to those who are prepared. - Louis Pasteur

Working...