Another article without absolutely no additional information regarding either the VW scandal or self-driving cars.
"Sensor manufacturers, for instance, may be untruthful about their abilities or, more likely, reliability." Is the author implying that before VW's scandal everyone trusted their suppliers blindly?
I think the explanation as to why diesel engines create more nitrogen oxides and how the EGR works was simple and on point, but the conclusion not so much. I drive a diesel myself, but it is a 2006 model, it doesn't have adblue injection, my exhaust system only has a catalytic converter and a particle filter (and an EGR, of course). Even though it is an old model, like most cars since then it has more than enough sensors to do what VW did: individual wheel speeds for the ABS, steering wheel angle for the ESC, multiple sunshine sensors, front and rear suspension angles for the headlight height control, multiple temperature and pressures sensors on both the intake and exhaust, multiple flow rate sensors, mass air flow sensors, multiple sensors in the cooling system etc.
That's why I find the article a bit thin on new information, I'm certain the embedded engineers at Bosch/Delphi/Siemens/etc. could have done that with far less information that a more modern car has.
Did they all knew about it? Probably. Did they made hardware efforts to cheat? I don't believe it yet, that's the point of cheating, "passing" the test without having to add new hardware, there is plenty of data that can tell you if the car is really moving or in a test chamber.
Mobile phones have very powerful magnets in their speakers and they don't usually cause problems like that, do they? Maybe they have very good mu-metal shields in the sepakers.
That is valid concern but, as far as I know, magnetic cards are mostly being replaced with smartcards or RFID, that might not be an issue in a couple of years. I've not used the magnetic stripes in my cards in a long time, the ICs are so cheap and functional that using smartcards or RFID instead of magnetic stripe is a no-brainer in most applications.
Agreed, Mikrotik routers are awesome, you simply can't go wrong with them. They are also very cheap.
Out of curiosity, my last purchase for the office was an EdgeRouter from Ubiquity. It was a pain to configure, it took me a couple of hours to configure dual wan, but this thing is fast, really fast. 5 gigabit ports, all of them capable of delivering PoE (passive). It doesn't have wifi, though, but that's where the PoE comes in handy to power the AP. AFAIK there is no alternative firmware, though...
I've just watched the video in the article, 720p videos also clearly play at 60fps. 480 and lower all played at 30fps.
The video bitrate was around 4 or 5 mbps, maybe they will add a 30/60 fps selector in the future?
I was waiting for this for some time
This is the reason I oppose moving to a push-button system. We've already seen at least one person have an uncontrolled acceleration problem and not have a key to turn off. Push-button HAS to include an emergency cutoff switch. Requiring the user to hold in a button for several seconds to stop the engine is not acceptable.
There may be cars that are not like those I've seen with start/stop buttons, but from what I've seen I don't see any problem.
My car has a start/stop button, when driving above 5 or 10 km/h the button does not shut down the engine when pressed, and it is plausible that it could mechanically malfunction at some time. In any of these cases I can force the engine to stop by removing the electronic key from the slot, either by pressing the emergency release button or simply by ripping it off.
Other than keyless systems, all cars I've seen with start/stop buttons need the electronic key to be inserted in some kind of reader, and I would very surprised if those with keyless systems didn't have some simple way to stop the engine in case of emergency.
The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.