Your local "Quickie Laundromat" may say they don't care about IP. But if I open another business right next door called "Quickie Laundromat", and if I copy their ads and signs word-for-word, they might change their minds.
Thing is, this survey probably suggests that your scenario doesn't happen that often. In your example, I'd suspect laundromats tend not to open up right next to each other unless there's adequate demand (e.g., next to a university). And even if they do, washing clothes is not a particularly differentiable product. Sure, maybe one laundromat has machines that always work and a change machine that is well stocked, and the competitor wants to trade on the good name of Quickie Laundromat... but that ruse is only going to work one time, if that.
IP is more than just patents. It also encompasses trademarks and copyrights. 10% say they care about IP. The other 90% don't understand what IP is.
TFA states that when directly asked about trademarks, "87.2% of businesses reported that trademarks were 'not important' to them." Perhaps most business owners don't know what trademarks are (though that seems a bit unlikely), or perhaps they just don't see value in the formal protection offered by trademark law. Instead they're probably relying on informal branding, reputation, word of mouth, the community, etc. There are certainly intangible aspects here, but they don't require trademark law to function. Trademark law helps deal with disputes, but perhaps those disputes are less likely than we might think.