Slashdot videos: Now with more Slashdot!
I'm sure the U.S. Commerce Secretary and the FTC would've had a field day over this.
1. iPhone owners with an older model will get so little credit towards a new phone that they'll think twice before upgrading.
2. Apple fanboys will buy the newest iPhone, trade-in or no trade-in.
3. Android users with fancy devices (Note 4, S6) are fanboys and it'll be a cold day in hell before they switch to Apple.
4. People with regular mid-end Android devices -- see #1 above.
5. Blackberry users generally have company-issued phones, so they're not going to trade them.
6. Windows Phone users are drinking the MS Kool Aid (tm) and anxiously waiting for Windows 10 and the secomd coming of Jesus.
7. The trade-in program isn't available in developing countries yet, where Windows Phones are sold as budget devices (low end models only, of course).
8. So, who's left? Maybe all 3 people who bought a Firefox OS phone?
Seriously, count the tech items in that car that eventually made it to street cars.
This stance also applies to Bentley, Rolex, Cartier, Mont Blanc, etc.
This is going to be great for people in rural areas, developing countries, and others who otherwise would remain hostages to the poor reliability and high latency of radio and satellite internet.
Have there ever been any?????
Apparently, you did well on your own, to the point of getting educated enough to be a nerd and read
Government only exists to fuck us all and collect taxes to make its members and business partners richer.
We don't need government help to prosper.
Basically, you sign a contract with Facebook that says "OK, Facebook, I'm going to build my infrastructure on top of your platform and I require that you support it for the next 15 years, capiche?"
Facebook may say Yay or Nay. Depending on the answer, you take your business elsewhere.
See? No government intervention required.
Secondly, it'll invariably suck simply because people's expectations are just ridiculously high after so much time waiting. Look no further than Doom 3 or Diablo 3 for evidence.