(that in reply to
Ah, a vi user I see. Fixed that for you. You might be interested to know about paredit-mode, if you ever decide to convert.
who prescribe medically needless tests & procedures to make more money
What about those who prescribe medically needless tests to avoid ridiculous litigation? Will they somehow benefit from additional legal oversight?
because there really are people posting here, and that you meet in real life, who think of orwell as some sort of religious prophet about the coming armageddeon. that every sign and signal and portent of news from real life is merely evidence of the coming state of big brother and 1984 as reality. the same as any other idiotic apocalyptic cult
We are not idiots. Steve Jobs will lead us to freedom.
prepared statements solve 99% of it
What's the 1% they don't solve? (Genuine question...)
I think he already answered that. His second paragraph talks about the occasional need for dynamically generated SQL. Dynamically generated != prepared, therefore you have your 1%.
This is Slashdot. We should be griping about the DRM, or the removal of LAN play which is obviously intended to keep us as indentured servants to the corporate behemoth, not talking about trivial things like when the game is going to be released.
Fuck yeah! That's the spirit. Bring back the
PC games are losing ground to consoles because the fucking game manufacturers keep trying to turn the PC into a console.
Turning PCs into consoles? That won't happen easily in the RTS genre because the controls are so different.
But in other genres, let me know when multiplayer PC games designed for use with a single PC and HDTV become common, and I'll agree with you. But right now, they appear to be limited to Serious Sam, Left 4 Dead, and EA Sports.
I think the GP was talking about DRM/anti-pirating measures, not the user controls. Essentially they're trying to turn computer games into the black box that console games are.
The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.