Sense maybe not... but you wont deny that it's damn fun and it definitely has the Nerd factor.
I had a lot of fun calculating how much it would take for a group of well trained and dedicated professionals to bring the ring to Mordor and hurl it into Mount Doom. I thought on a group of woodsmen afoot: They would have needed 20-30 days or so. I can't bring back my figures right now (I posted in on facebook to my friends and I now found out that it's fucking impossible to get a post back from this crap site, so much for "data analysis").
This would actually have meant that there was no story:
1. Gandalf figures out the ring was friggin dangerous
2. Gandalf as a wise guy takes the right decision to the get rid of the thing ASAP
3. Gandalf being wise assembles a group of Elite woodsmen properly equipped
4. They get the fuck off and hike to mount Doom living from the land and avoiding any city and town
5. They painfully gut and mutilate Gollum just for the sake of it
6. They hurl the ring into Mount doom
Sauron and Saruman would have been caught still in undergarments, there wouldn't have been much time for the ring to tempt the party, there wouldn't have been any need for stopping to get stuff and no Hobbits screwing up with Mount Kings and crap.
To fill in the book after getting rid of the ring I would have made the badass woodsmen to dedicate their souls to Crom, gather a Barbarian Horde and plunder and rape the fuck out of it.... CROOOOOOOOM!!!!!!
" I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content.”
Conan the Barbarian