That was the old FreeBSD Team goal. The new management (lets say post 5.0 RELEASE or early 00's) is all about being hip, competing with people they shouldn't be, and shoddy work. Examples:
- See the new RELENG idealogy (articles/releng)
- See the new logo that the vocal FBSD communtity despises (see mailing lists)
- See this news article (though I agree he did just mention parity ... that parity still comes at the cost of neglecting what FreeBSD is all about. Only so many resources to go around)
- See the push for BSD Certs.
- See how magically show stopper bugs in the RELENG todo list magically become desired features when timelines start getting crunched. Either its a show stopper or its not.
I love FreeBSD and no plans to give it up in the forseable future but with each new release Open is looking better and better. I am starting to see why people like Theo or DJB, unyielding and unchanging.