Follow Slashdot blog updates by subscribing to our blog RSS feed


Forgot your password?
DEAL: For $25 - Add A Second Phone Number To Your Smartphone for life! Use promo code SLASHDOT25. Also, Slashdot's Facebook page has a chat bot now. Message it for stories and more. Check out the new SourceForge HTML5 internet speed test! ×

Comment Easy solution (Score 1) 443

Just send them a copy of the business plan. (I assume that anyone planning a business would develop a detailed business plan, including goals, dates, detailed income/sales budgets etc. It can be pure fantasy of course, but there really should be one - it's very handy when trying to borrow money)

Submission + - Private companies on UK government deals 'should be subject to FoI' (

Qedward writes: A report from the Public Accounts Committee suggested the scope of the Freedom of Information Act (FoI) should be extended to cover private firms and IT companies that work on government contracts.

All follows on from deputy PM Nick Clegg's vow to allow citizens to "hold big institutions and powerful individuals to account — and not only the government".

Of course they should, but what they'll find out will probably only make the UK public more despairing.


Submission + - Facebook advertising failing to click with users (

An anonymous reader writes: A new study examining the effectiveness of advertising on Facebook has indicated that it is up to eight times less effective than more conventional web advertising via Google

Submission + - Super efficient LED that reaches 90% luminous efficiency ( 5

Taco Cowboy writes: LED lighting are generally considered as efficient, but typical LEDs on the market today only have internal quantum efficiency of 30-40%.

Meaning: For every watt of power pumped into the LED, only 30%-40% turns into light, while the rest (60%-70%) becomes heat.

And because of that, LED light manufacturers had to attach all kinds of heat sink to draw away all those excess heat.

A new LED material has been found to transform 90% of the power that it received into light.

NGK Insulators Ltd developed what it claims is a gallium nitride (GaN) wafer capable of doubling the luminous efficiency of LED light source.

The new GaN wafer can realize twice as high a luminous efficiency as existing LED light sources (200lm/W). And it can reduce power consumption by 50%, and in the meantime, extend the product life of the LED device, by reducing heat generation and reduce the sizes of lighting apparatuses, the company said.

Comment 117TB? Really? (Score 1) 69

Do they really mean 117TB?

Some quick sums on file sizes for online digitized material:
200K pages - say a generous 100K/page = 20GB
300 reels of tape + 1245 recordings, say 1000 hours of audio at about 1MB/minute = 60GB
72 reels of film, say 50 hours at a generous 2GB/hour (DVD quality) = 100GB
1500 images + [images of] 300 artifacts at a generous 1MB each = about 2GB
Total: 182GB
What are they doing with the other 116.8 TB? Digitizing the genome of every woman he slept with?

Slashdot Top Deals

What ever you want is going to cost a little more than it is worth. -- The Second Law Of Thermodynamics