Developing some embedded software we had a common issue when adding new features that the code would crash when outputting strings to the console, until we added some debug code to identify the problem, when the crash would stop happening. We were in a hurry and so the code generally got shipped with the debug code suitably disabled but still present. I had some extra time one day and decided to investigate this, but couldn't find any coding errors. I eventually got around to looking at the output of the linker/locater to discover that the problem was related to trying to print the last declared string to the console. It emerged that the build tools would fail to append the closing null to the last string stored in the initialised memory portion of the image. Stored to EPROM, some of those final strings ended up with a lot of FF characters appended.