Home build system inside a Nanoxia Deep Silence 2 (because the side panels are actually covered in thick noise insulation)
* Sandybridge i7 2600k chosen over an i5 because VMs and k because it was at the same price as the non k version.
* Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P rev 1.0 motherboard
* 16Gb RAM (Corsair Vengeance Blue) because blue looks good on the gigabyte motherboard
* Corsair HX750i PSU because unless I game the fan stays off
* Crucial 256 SSD (for boot, LR catalog, etc.)
* 4 x 2TB WD Greens in RAID10 (for raw photos, videos, games)
* 450Gb velociraptor (for VMs, as it's faster than the raid10 array and also because it allows writing velociraptor in the description)
* NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost (enough for 1080p kerbal space program and euro truck simulator 2 )
* optical drive, second network card, serial port
* cheap philips 22' lcd
I used it maninly for VMs (experimenting networking, ha setups, etc.), photo editing, gaming. It's barely making any noise because the case is well insulated and the fan's are well chosen and can run at low speeds.