I have worked for a University in Australia and when it comes to the way they do IT, it is very similar to the way the government does IT. Basically, management hires a bunch of people into the IT department and about 70% of them couldn't get a real world IT job if their lives depended on it. The other 30% get blocked when trying to do their job ie. management asks for a solution, usually full of buzzwords and lack of comprehension, and the 30% with a clue deliver it. Management looks at that and goes, "hrmmm, yeah that's nice but we should get an external contractor/company in and confirm if that is the right solution." Of course, the external entity doesn't want to know about the existing solution so propose a new one. Management goes with it so they don't have to take responsibility if it goes wrong. The 70% get given the task of helping the external entity, the 30% look at it and go that is shit but management asks the 70% who don't want to get in trouble for saying no and say it is great and then a cluster fuck gets delivered which costs the tax payer 10 times more than it should have.