IIRC, we were trying (my dad and I) to stay within a certain budget, and we had opted for an EISA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Industry_Standard_Architecture) video card with a whopping *1MB* of VRAM. So yes, the initial ram on that build was only 2MB =P Even after we went to 8MB I spent a lot of time setting up config.sys / autoexec.bat to run memmaker with just the right settings. I vaguely remember that you wanted as much free ram as possible in the initial 640KB range, and you could move some things into an area reserved for Monochrome displays to free up a little more. I kept that machine until 1997 (we were poor), and in the end it was dual booting Win 3.1 and Slackware 3.1. I remember kernel compiles on a 486, good god... I'm pretty sure the first one I did was 2.0.29, upgrading from 2.0.25. That was back when taking out all the modules that didn't apply to your hardware (stock kernels always support as much as they can) would net you a HUGE performance gain. Id software made the transition from Windows to Linux pretty easy, as Doom (and more importantly Quake!) ran just fine =) SVGALib for the win.