Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!


Forgot your password?
Trust the World's Fastest VPN with Your Internet Security & Freedom - A Lifetime Subscription of PureVPN at 88% off. Also, Slashdot's Facebook page has a chat bot now. Message it for stories and more. ×

Comment Re:Even with magnitude corrected, way too much (Score 1) 184

Is it just possible that you're not really an expert in whatever field (or sub-field) this was? And that your opinion of it based on a headline may be inferior to the review panel's evaluation of the full proposal? I certainly never claimed "unshakable belief in the government doing no wrong", but I'm also not enough of a tin-foil consumer to be convinced that any research that doesn't lead immediately to higher profits this quarter is either pie in the sky or out-and-out graft.

Comment Re:Even with magnitude corrected, way too much (Score 1) 184

I find it to be equivalent to trolling whenever someone (usually a red-state politician) totally mischaracterizes someone's funded research grant as "$x hundred thousand to study toad eyeballs" as they try to sum up 15-30 pages of scientific text into three or four words that are as dismissive of science as possible. Contrary to the Fox News narrative, it's generally pretty hard to get an NSF grant, and they don't typically hand them out for ideas that should have gone to the shredder. Also, at my small-potato U, that overhead that the U charges does *not* all go to a slush fund. It is split between the PI (obviously not for his/her personal enrichment, but to be spent on things that would ordinarily be legit for the school to buy him/her), the PI's dept, the PI's college, and the Provost's office. And of course, anything left gets converted into grubby $5 bills and smuggled to Bill & Hillary in brown paper bags.

Comment Re:Shows the limits of freedom (Score 1) 1095

"Majority Rule" sounds good until you think a little. What is it that keeps 51% of the population from democratically voting to kill the other 49%? It's not majority rule. It's the constitution.

The constitution is what this country has going for it. "Majority rule" is how an angry mob works. "Majority rule, but you don't get to screw the minority just because you want to" is how the constitution works.

Comment Re: I really don't care... (Score 1) 212

Way to start off reasonable there. Easy to see why you're an AC. You can tell yourself whatever you want to make it "feels" better, but the fact is, those horses are injured because people are pushing them to their limits (and beyond) for financial reasons. Would you be against filing negligent homicide charges against a drunk driver if he only killed someone so old that they would probably have died soon anyway?
I do appreciate your useful info about horses dying in the wild. I assumed they lived forever if people weren't involved.

Comment Re:disclosure (Score 1) 448

They don't get to put it in their pockets, for God's sake. You sound like that Fox News nutjob talking about the scientists living the rock star life. You get money to hire postdocs, student researchers, support staff, etc. You don't get money for sports cars. I know it's hard for most of the deniers to believe, but some people are not 100% motivated by money.

Slashdot Top Deals

"Dump the condiments. If we are to be eaten, we don't need to taste good." -- "Visionaries" cartoon