Follow Slashdot blog updates by subscribing to our blog RSS feed

 



Forgot your password?
typodupeerror
Check out the new SourceForge HTML5 internet speed test! No Flash necessary and runs on all devices. ×

Comment "right to post the pictures because he took them" (Score 1) 412

> "The woman's father reportedly believes he's in the right to post the pictures because he took them."

Well, sounds like I have a trip to Austria to make. Specifically, to right outside this guy's window, to take some pictures of him while he's changing, which I will then have the right to post, because they were my pictures, right? Apparently, according to this guy's logic...

Comment Surprising (Score 1) 153

I'd expect that number to be higher.

After all, unless you get a new phone, most like you already *have* all the apps you need, unless something truly new comes out, which doesn't happen every month. I use a handful of apps all the time, but I'm not going to go out and replace them with new ones every month, because the ones I already have, work great.

Comment Screw that (Score 1) 256

I would actually be tempted - Firefox has gotten increasingly sucktastic, and Chrome has some glaring deficiencies as well, so if I had already been forced onto Windows 10, I'd certainly have tried out Edge, and if it wasn't actively noticeably *worse* than FF or Chrome these days, I'd happily use it if they were paying me. Hard to pass up free money.

But must use Bing as your default search engine? Frack that. (Moot point anyway for the moment, I'm staying with Windows 7 for as long as I possibly can. Eventually, though, my machine will die, and I'll be forced onto 10. So at that point...)

Comment Re:How Much Money Do You Need? (Score 1) 67

There's "comfortably", and then there's "in style". I'm a big fan of the subreddit /r/financialindependence, which is about retiring early, and it's actually surprisingly (semi)-easy - your estimates are way too high. With really just a couple million, you could live off that pretty indefinitely if you did it smart. But while there's certainly diminishing returns after that, I'd say it tapers off pretty slowly - while being able to retire early at all is the biggest thing, I could easily increase my enjoyment of my retirement by splurging more and more, based on how much money I had, up to a point. Total rough ballpark, I don't think diminishing returns would start to make additional money *totally* pointless until probably around the 100m mark or so.

But yes, definitely at *some* point more money is irrelevant, regardless of specifically what point that is, if you're just talking about personal enjoyment of life. Jeff Bezos, however, probably thinks way bigger than that, or Amazon wouldn't have become such a monstrously enormous company in such a relatively short period of time.

Comment Re:Let's Call Him (Score 1) 191

"Hi! I'm a robocaller! I'm just calling to let you know that this message is free speech and there's nothing you can do about it! Nyah nyah nyah!"

I would argue that "what constitutes free speech" itself definitely falls under the category of "political messages". So let's just all robocall him with that message roughly every 3 seconds, see if he gets the message?

Comment Re:TANSTAAFLE (Score 1) 1145

> "Do you think you would still have it if nobody wanted to work?"

Yes, I do. UBI is a solution to the problem of "not enough jobs due to automation", and automation is the solution to the problem of "not enough demand for jobs due to UBI". They go together. I'd much rather not enough jobs due to automation and UBI (so people could not only survive, but have the freedom to come up with newer and better things - people who currently are mostly instead doing gruntwork for existing companies, because they need to pay the bills), than not enough jobs due to automation and you're just crap out of luck, too bad for you.

Automation is going to increase, that's just the way it is - but it could be utopian instead of the opposite, if we do it right.

Comment Re:It's inevitable now (Score 1) 416

> "I expect to see in 2020, if not sooner, people running for public office talking about how they believe marijuana to be as safe as alcohol and tobacco"

Which is of course completely untrue. Marijuana is *far* safer than alcohol (which is relatively easy to overdose on) or tobacco (way worse for you in general, plus almost always smoked, while marijuana is commonly smoked, but also commonly ingested, which is much healthier.) Heck, I'd go so far as to say that it's healthier for you than coffee, albeit with rather stronger effects at common dosage levels.

Comment Why the heck not? (Score 1) 351

Is it cheaper? Is it safe to eat? Does it have roughly the same taste and consistency? Then why the heck wouldn't I? (I expect they'll get the first two pretty easily, but I'm not totally convinced on the last one. But that's what reviews are for. I have no moral or philosophical objection to the concept, merely practical ones.)

Comment Re:I was just thinking of this today (Score 1) 393

> i'm surprised you had a complete thought.
i've had a team of 15 fbi thugs armed with fully automatic machine guns pounding on my door to serve a warrant to investigate copyright infringement..
they didn't shoot and kill me.
do you know why? ... cause you're probably, and I'm just guessing here, I could be wrong, caucasian-looking?

Comment Re:Learn to measure! (Score 1) 175

Presumably they're taking into account the full time cost of air travel, which is not just liftoff to touchdown, but also includes getting there early to park, get through stupid security, wait around because you got there early, then wait around for your bags to eventually make it out.

Presumably a hyperloop train also wouldn't be delayed nearly as often, either.

Comment Don't really care (Score 3, Interesting) 74

Sure, I suppose, as someone who really likes physical keyboards, it's technically sad that we just lost another one, but I don't care that much, on grounds of a. Blackberry OS rather than Android, and b. keyboards should slide out in landscape mode, not portrait mode. So I would never personally buy one of those anyway.

But when I can no longer find any Android phones with proper slider keyboards to replace my current one when it dies... I will be pretty pissed at that point.

Comment Re:Such Bad Software (Score 1) 180

> "With so many billing errors made be ISPs and telecom companies, how come there's never been a class action against them?"

Possibly because under current laws, you're no longer allowed to file class action suits against like 99.999% of all companies on the planet, as a required part of being their customer, because reasons? >.>

Comment Re:Who brought in Asimov's laws? (Score 1) 186

I disagree. They were way more than a plot device. They *were* a plot device, but they were also, broadly speaking, Asimov's reaction to the visceral anti-robotics fears of the early days of sci-fi, a way of speaking out against the idea that AI would invariably go crazy and start murdering people for the luls, or because they wanted us out so they could take over, or whatever other reasons. He very intentionally wrote stories in which robots were not just intelligent, but intelligently *designed*, with rules explicitly created by humans to prevent the sort of chaos one saw whenever robots showed up in the media he was responding to.

Then, yes, they *were* a plot device, as he spent the next forever finding all the different ways the simple laws could go wrong, but there *was* a broader message.

That said, I do find it irritating when people who are *not* living in the Asimov robot fictional universe, seem to imagine they're "laws" in the scientific sense, as opposed to, obviously, laws in the "obey the law" sense. Asimov's fictional robots were designed with those laws baked in, but we can design robots however we like. (Heck, on a few occasions, people found ways of messing with the laws at the root level in his fiction, too, if I recall.)

And yes, in this case, it's all totally irrelevant, as there's no intelligence. There isn't even any goal-seeking, which *would* be more amusing and at least more likely to cause discussion, if it just wandered around randomly looking for humans and jabbing them (though the result of the discussion would be "wow that guy is a dick for making a machine that did that.")

Slashdot Top Deals

I've never been canoeing before, but I imagine there must be just a few simple heuristics you have to remember... Yes, don't fall out, and don't hit rocks.

Working...