There are many problems with Poettering and Sievers:
1) they don't seem to care care about the Community
2) they don't seem to want to interact with the Community
3) they don't seem to want to have a discussion about the many problems and concerns the Community has voiced about systemd
4) it takes no other than Linus himself to force Kay Sievers to get his act together and fix his crap (the "systemd kernel debug" story) and there's another one where Linus orders Sievers again to fix more crap (the "let's *not* read 1 byte at a time" story)
5) they make bad design decisions and consequently write bad software: let's do binary log files and too bad if your journal goes corrupt. We'll just delete it and move on. Given their employer, how is that anywhere near "Enterprise"?!
6) they ignore the Unix/Linux mantra: do one thing and do it well. Now go take a look at the systemd design and how massive that PID 1 kitchensink is. That's a SystemdOMGNucleairZombiesShock waiting to happen.
Why did Red Hat Engineering let it get to this? It's not like this story is beneficial to Red Hat in more than one way. Death threats are of course insane and have no place in our Community. However, the underlying frustration and anger because of their abrasive my-way-or-the-highway attitude and blatant disregard for the Community is hardly surprising. It would not be a bad idea for Red Hat Engineering to reassign Poettering, Sievers et al to work on projects that have no Community interaction nor impact or at least replace their current PHB with someone vastly more capable to reign in those ego's and put an end to this epic amount of Stupid.