It goes even further than that TFS says that the mother thought the magnets would pass without harm! Even if kid goes into siblings room, eats a magnet, then does so a SECOND day, the parent should be taking kid to medical assistance.
On that note, my wife and I are about to have another kid. We don't believe in "baby proofing" the house. The entire dynamic of the house should not change just to suit the smallest. The baby is taught, as it grows, not to do things. "Don't stick a knife in the light socket. It'll hurt." Kid wants to do it anyway, they will find a way. Guess what, it HURTS! They won't do that again (wife's father let them do it once just so they'd see what it was like).
100 years ago, there weren't all these laws and regulations about what you could, and couldn't do. Guess what, kids lived and were happy. They learned what they could and could not do and were stronger people for it. Today we have a society (in America) where people are taught to perform at the lowest level to get by and rely on other people to make your decisions.