Does this have a measurable advantage/merit?
* Walking to a cafe in the next building and eating with co-workers is much faster than walking/driving to a restaurant some distance away. Plus employees tend to talk shop over lunch. => more working hours per day.
* The company has some control over the food served, and can encourage healthier eating. => lower health care costs
* For large campuses, the surrounding area simply cannot absorb that many people for lunch.
* Happier employees (with more money in their pockets)
* Catered meals for events are much cheaper.
Some years ago a company where I worked got rid of their nice coffee machine and replaced it with a cheap model that people hated. Many people started taking breaks to walk to a coffee shop a block away (30-60 minutes of lost work depending on the weather and context-switching), and morale took a big hit.