Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!


Forgot your password?
DEAL: For $25 - Add A Second Phone Number To Your Smartphone for life! Use promo code SLASHDOT25. Also, Slashdot's Facebook page has a chat bot now. Message it for stories and more. Check out the new SourceForge HTML5 Internet speed test! ×

Comment Good to hear (Score 1) 79

Even though our company writes our own CMS and e-commerce software, I am glad to see Wordpress moving forward. Some of our clients prefer to use Wordpress over our own CMS simply because it's free. The more I use Wordpress the more I like it. Sure, the code is messy, but maybe the new Wordpress 3 cleans some things up. It is also good for web development companies to offer integration of their software in to Wordpress which can expand your client base. Maybe one day we will open source our CMS software once it's ready.

Comment Improved login system? (Score 1) 297

It would be nice if they simply revamped their login system. Right now I have an older "unlinked" google account and every time I try to login with it I get an infinite redirect loop. Yes, I cleared my cookies and the problem occurs on Firefox, Google Chrome, and Internet Explorer. I used to be able to login fine just a few weeks ago. What does it take to get support from YouTube with login troubles? Is anyone else experiencing login issues?

Comment There is already a solution (Score 2, Insightful) 180

Developers can stop using flash and end-users should uninstall it. There is already a solution out there and it is called javascript. 90% of the things you can do in flash can easily be done using javascript, jquery, or some other javascript framework. For the remaining 10%, HTML 5 will be able to handle most of it (canvas tag, videos, better form support, etc), and the remainder of things that javascript/html can't do that flash can do (if there is anything), is not even worth implementing in a website. Since javascript and HTML is all open and much easier to work with, I foresee flash and silverlight on the decline. This especially holds true when HTML 5 is fully supported in most people's browsers.

Comment go for the degree (Score 1, Informative) 474

I've had many technical support jobs, helping employees and friends and family. I ended up in your position and didn't know how much longer I could handle it. What I did is got my B.S. in computer science at a good school and now my full time job is working for myself doing web development. You will not go wrong learning databases and web development and if you get good at it you will be able to work anywhere, anytime, and basically for whoever you want. Also, we all know that web applications and "cloud computing" is the new face of the Internet and still in its infant stages and has plenty of room to grow. Having your degree in computer science can land you other types of jobs doing productive work (even if you decide you don't like web development) and you get a great sense of accomplishment for the type of work you choose to do (possibilities are pretty much limitless). Hope this helps.

Comment m$ (Score 1) 575

This doesn't surprise me... anything utilizing the technology (if you want to call it that) of Silverlight is bound to be a disaster. Netflix should definitely act appropriately if they're receiving this many complaints or else it will do more harm than good.

Slashdot Top Deals

I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best. -- Oscar Wilde