I second this - Find a small problem that you are in fact facing in your day to day life, and write code that would solve it.
Over the years, I've a directory tree full of little scripts I wrote. Examples:
* I can never find a random password generator to my liking, write one yourself.
* Write a script to curl to retrieve the torrent file & auto submit to your rtorrent
* Pull down maxmind geoip database & massage it into a format suitable for ipset
* Hate (short 1-paragraph) RSS given out by sites? Write script to ingess RSS, fetch the full articles (w/ pix), & egress to rss-tt
* Write a script to poll your VOIP prepaid balance and pushover notifications to your iPhone, if it gets low.