Sorry to hijack a story to go on a tangent, but this may be one read by people I'd like to query:
I'd be very interested to know how older (35+) IT workers (ops & dev) in the UK are feeling at the moment, eg:
* My long experience gives me more confidence in my employability
* I've kept up with trends, so I'm OK
* My experience counts against me (eg "you know C", "you know UNIX", so you must be past it)
* My age counts against me
* There are no jobs going for my skillset
* I'm doing fine, thanks!
* Jobs I can do standing on my head don't pay enough
* Where I choose to live (family or other ties) are scarce/don't pay enough.
* I'd move for a job
Please give some additional details if you reply. (yes, I do employ!)