What makes it so horrible, and how would anyone even know that since firsthand experience would, by definition, kill you? Wouldn't it be the same as drowning? Which is, by all accounts, a very pleasant experience. And I get that rats are kind of cute (to some people) when you've got ONE in a cage, and that they domesticate well, (amazingly enough, they really do!) , but if you've got a rat problem , like I have, the cuteness thing wears a little thin. They will completely destroy your place, chew up your plumbing trying to get water, and chew up all your electrical wiring , creating a terrible fire hazard. If rats don't chew ALL the time their teeth grow at a fantastic rate, so they have to chew, And they will chew ANYTHING even tubes of toxic ointment, with impunity. And NOTHING kills them, They eat rat poison for breakfast and ask for seconds. The dry ice method is one I'd try if I could get at them, but they're in the walls of my trailer. I've been using lysol spray so they can't smell the tracks to get asround, and certain members of the mint family are supposed to be very effective at repelling them. Any one know a GOOD repellant that always works? No, ultrasound doesn't, unfortunately. I need them GONE!