Follow Slashdot blog updates by subscribing to our blog RSS feed


Forgot your password?
DEAL: For $25 - Add A Second Phone Number To Your Smartphone for life! Use promo code SLASHDOT25. Also, Slashdot's Facebook page has a chat bot now. Message it for stories and more. Check out the new SourceForge HTML5 internet speed test! ×

Comment Same problem as 3GS? (Score 2, Informative) 479

The 3G/3GS had what sounds to be the same problem with poor reception when you hold the phone while touching the metal edge around the screen.

You can repeat this test as follows:

1. Put your phone into "field test" mode by dialing *3001#12345#* (curiously discontinued with iPhone OS4).
2. Note the signal strength when phone is sitting on a table.
3. Note the signal strength when holding it normally or just touching the metal edge - it's way lower.
4. Pinch the phone so that you are not touching the metal edge. Note that the strength returns to the level it was at while on the table.

I have personally not been bothered by this limitation with the iPhone 3G in normal use. When signal strength is really poor, I avoid touching the metal edge, but aside from that, it's business as usual.

I would be curious to know if the iPhone 4 is any worse than the iPhone 3G/3GS. Has anyone seen a comparison?

Comment Re:Is there an app for bullshit? (Score 1) 202

+1 for bullshit. The demographic of people who own iPhones and iPod Touches is mostly made up of mainstream non-tinkerers who wouldn't know where to start pirating an app, even if they wanted to. I would venture to guess that less than 10% of owners could steal an app if they tried. Of those, I would guess that less than 10% would actually steal an app, given that they only cost a few bucks anyway. How less than 1% manages to steal 3x more apps than the other greater than 99% buys is beyond me.

Comment Here is your problem... (Score 1) 434

Scrum is a project management methodology. The role of Scrum Master is a lightweight project management role.

Would you make your best developer your project manager? Hopefully not, unless that person was even more valuable to the company as a project manager.

Choose your Scrum Master using the same criteria as you would a project manager, and leave your best developers developing if that is where they are most valuable to the company.

Comment Re:I'm dubious (Score 1) 834

The logical conclusion of this is that, in the future, all men will one day look like hot women. I therefore recommend heavy investment in X-ray glasses research. Please nudge your local decider-of-these-things. In the meantime, we should encourage fashionistas to continue to deem that tight pants are IN.

Slashdot Top Deals

"Why should we subsidize intellectual curiosity?" -Ronald Reagan