The "not in the work force" number includes only healthy citizens, age 16-65. So your argument about your parents and daughter is invalid.
Additionally, the number is now at the highest percentage since it was first calculated in 1978. In other words, the labor participation rate (i.e. the percentage of people who are of age and wish to have jobs) is at its lowest rate since 1978 (when it was first tracked).
U6 unemployment, on the other hand, does not include anyone unemployed longer than 12-26 months (depending on whether they try to find a job or not). This means they fall to those no longer in the labor pool. That number has grown by 14.4 million people under Obama.
Labor Participation Rate
No other president since 1980 has presided over such a steep decline (3.4%) in the participation rate, and George W. Bush was the only other president with a net decline (1%). (Note, the graph can be adjusted to include data from before 1978 which has been retroactively calculated, and which is lower, because of the low participation of females in the work force prior to the late 1970's / early 1980's.)
That 3.4% drop indicates 14.4 million more people out of work, and off the unemployment rolls. Typically about a 250,000 job change is needed for 0.1% of unemployment rate change. That would indicate another 5.76% of unemployment to add to the U6 number of 9.5% giving a grand total of 15.26% unemployment, right in line with the original poster, and also a good indicator of why those 15.26% of people, who kept hearing about this great "economic recovery" going on probably swung from blue to red in the election.
Vote Swing Map
Look at where the growth in red votes came from in this election. Blue-collar working class states. You know, the ones who get ignored compared to those shiny city slickers that Hillary campaigned to, and who showed up at Trump rallies just in time to be called "deplorable" and "irredeemable" by Hillary. These aren't racists, or fascists, or any of the other names that get used for Trump supporters, they're people who were sick of being ignored. Trump didn't ignore them. Hillary did. Hillary literally did not visit Wisconsin after the primaries since it was "in the bag" for her. Trump did. Guess who won?