The Automata Engine 1.0 looks to be a step in the right direction, some of it's features:
* multilayer 3D canvas, composed of pseudo-voxels
* voxel-based sprites, composited via ink effects
* 3D sprite-based lighting
* cellular automata rule engine
* multiple rendering paths for optimization
* audio engine, configurable via externally defined "rules."
* time-sliced stats module -- allows sound to be tied to the number of voxels, for instance
* game levels and level transitions
* movers, colliders, streakers (objects that add cells into the environment)
* two camera impementations: simple and "follow"
* XBox, Windows, and soon Windows Mobile 7