HP ProBook 4720s Notebook PC - i7 CPU, 8GB ram, 500gb 7200rpm HD, AntiGlare, 3yr support: $1948
MacBook Pro 17": i7 CPU, 8GB ram, 500gb 7200rpm HD, AntiGlare, 3yr support: $3348
That seems like WAY more than $100 difference.
Plus, AppleCare support SUCKS ASS!
#1 No accidental breakage coverage.
- My wife's macbook LCD was broken by my kid, they wanted $750 to replace the LCD. Screw Apple.
- We bought the LCD on our own and I repaired it for under $85.
- I have dropped, crushed, etc my HP and Dell's with accidental replacement coverage and they replaced or fixed no questions asked.
#2 To get any sort of support and replacement you need to goto an Apple Store.
- If I want, I can have a goon come out and hand deliver a part or replace it.
#3 For most repairs, the laptop is shipped out for repair.
- My wife's piece of crap macbook spent over 2 months at the repair depot in 6 different repair issues, in the first 12 months owning it. Bad MB, and serious overheating issues, random poweroffs and blackscreens.
- We evenually filed a lemonlaw case against Apple to have it replaced with a new one. The new one too had overheating issues, but at least wouldn't randomly shutdown
#4 No "you keep the drive" support option.
- If I DO have to send my laptop in for repair, I do not want to have over all my sensitive business and personal material with it.
- With the case of my wife's laptop, and others, Apple has wiped the HD and reinstalled the OS just for trying to diagnose issues such as random reboots. This was done without asking. Luckily, I had backups of everything on her system.
Other Reasons Apple is not Pioneering?
- iPod copied the design of players already out, and even removed features those had which are beneficial
- iPhone was just another smartphone, except it was the only one that could only run 1 app at a time.
- iPad, out of the box, is way behind on performance and ability of other tablets that have been out.
- 'Earthshattering' iPods/iPhones/iPads: no true usb storage support options. Limited embedded hardware codecs. No ability to email attachments from the mail app.
Yes, I own an iPad. If I couldn't have jailbroken/rooted/crosscompiled cli apps from linux over to it, I wouldnt have bought it.
Yes, among all the laptops and systems we own, we have a macbook for my wife. Yes it is one of the largest purchase regrets I have made in the last few years.