Want to read Slashdot from your mobile device? Point it at m.slashdot.org and keep reading!


Forgot your password?
Check out the new SourceForge HTML5 internet speed test! No Flash necessary and runs on all devices. Also, Slashdot's Facebook page has a chat bot now. Message it for stories and more. ×

Barnes & Noble's Nook HD Tablets Face iPad, Kindle Fire HD 134

Nerval's Lobster writes "It's proven a busy month for mobile-device releases. First Nokia whipped back the curtain from the Lumia 820 and 920, its first Windows Phone 8 devices. The very next day, Amazon unveiled its new line of Kindle devices, including the Kindle Fire HD. Not to be outdone, Apple executives took to a stage in San Francisco the next week to show off the iPhone 5, complete with a larger screen and faster processor. But September's not over yet, and the releases keep coming: Barnes & Noble has launched a pair of HD tablets, the Nook HD and Nook HD+, designed to maintain the bookseller's toehold in the tablet space. The question is whether the Nook, even with upgraded hardware and new services, can successfully punch above its weight against the iPad and Kindle Fire, which are widely perceived as the dominant devices in the tablet market." Nook HD specs (Android 4.0, Dual 1.3Ghz Cortex-A9, 1G RAM), and HD+ specs (1.5GHz Coretex-A9 and a larger screen). Nate the greatest writes with a job posting that may indicate B&N is defecting to Windows 8, or at least hedging their bets.

Comment Re:I have issues with the TFA (Score 1) 491

From the TFA:

* Sixty-four percent (64%) of survey participants found the transition to Agile confusing, hard, or slow. Twenty-eight percent (28%) report success with Agile.
- I'd like to see the number for success in waterfall.

* Overwhelmingly, 40% of participants that use Agile did not identify a benefit.
- How is 40% overwhelming? I though overwhelming meant much larger than a simple majority. What about the other 60%?

Comment News From Nasa (Score 4, Interesting) 201

I just caught a local PBS show in which someone from NASA (I didn't catch his name, as I came into the program right after his
introduction) shared the following bit of bad news that comes with the new Federal Budget:

"The Shuttle is 30 years old. We've been flying this machine for thirty years. Over the last year and a half, we've been transitioning to a new Constellation program and developing a new launch vehicle as well as the Orion Crew Exploration Vehicle to take us back to the moon. That's the goal.

When that shuttle retires, there's going to be a serious change in workforce.

What are we going to do with all the engineers that were performing sustaining engineering on that shuttle program?

The idea was to take them and move them over into the part of the Constellation program that develops the Altair, which is a Lunar Lander going back to the moon.

Today, when President Obama rolled out his detail budget on space, he pulled the Altair and pushed it out three to five years.

So that's a real concern.

If you had asked me this morning at 8:00 if there was going to be a problem with the space industry with engineers and moving forward, I would have said no. This afternoon we've got a real concern
about that and how we're going to fill the gap with those employees.

And we've still got time. We've got a couple of years to try to convince the present Obama administration to continue to go back to the moon."

Slashdot Top Deals

Sendmail may be safely run set-user-id to root. -- Eric Allman, "Sendmail Installation Guide"