Having tools/AI that can increasingly automate tasks is basically the fulfillment of the wish of anyone wanting things done.
Lots of people here are programmers and developers and engineers - basically the modern-day,real-life equivalent of genies, folks who can basically make anything happen, but with the cost of needing to REALLY draw out the exact desire so that the result isn't worse than the problem.
So, over time, the humble dish washer gets a bucket, then a sink, then a dish washing machine, and eventually an automatic servant that will do every classical part of the task given enough economy of scale.
The big consequence of this is that we're faced with big questions again about what we want. We have enough shared power and resources to feed everyone, to free ourselves of the most difficult, dangerous and annoying tasks of life.
On the other hand, we have our economic system. Basically, the monetary system, where folks trade services and items for various currencies, based on markets and occasionally governing bodies.
The bulk of the money is tied up in the hands of a relatively small percentage of individuals who saved large amounts of money, looking to get an optimal percentage return on that investment.
This global pool of money is essentially what makes most publicly-traded corporations act exactly like 'corporations', where image to investors is the primary goal, and actually performing as a company is secondary.
Service to this logic is basically deeply, DEEPLY embedded in psyche and even deep morality of most of the modern adult population. The idea of not spending one's waking life in service to maximizing income, either in managing a company or performing tasks for one, is deeply shameful to most.
There's going to come a point though, when the tasks of performing the role of managing most companies is going to be >95% automation, and the remaining <5% is not going to be a reliable way of fulfilling the 'need' to let most of the population avoid the shame of being a poor return on investment, since automation will always be a better investment once it advances a little.
We're going to have to figure out what we want from ourselves. That's not a very difficult task individually, but as a group, it's going to be tumultuous.
The wealthy investors and funds will still demand return on investment, but the increasing percentage of the population unable to prove a return on investment will still have real needs, and have increasing government power.
In this conflict between shrinking (but increasingly wealthy) investor class versus growing government class, the government side would in theory win in the end, though we'd likely encounter several rounds of crazy outcomes like Donald Trump being president.
The longer-term outcome is likely still not going to be some star-trek utopia, but it won't be Somalia either. It's going to be the usual mix we see in history, with the trends extended - less average violence, occasional crazy decisions and wars, endless fads, 95% junk/5% awesome, the old afraid kids are going bad, while the kids are actually measurably smarter over time.
Our AIs are still going to be very dumb for a long time, but they will let us have slightly less absurd goals for our own lives, than figuring out how to scam some global investment class out of currency as some sacred life goal.
Until then though, we hobble along as we can, advancing what we can.
PS: Yeah, can't avoid posting this URL: